chapter 5

Isabella

I lived without expectations from other people. They always wanted something in return or better yet, I never let them do anything for free. Leandro Manchoza would have called an ambulance, but he took me to the hospital himself. Apart from the fact that he knows of my weakness, it really does feel okay for someone to not throw you to strangers. Just like.........

After the meeting, we decided to supervise with my boss. He practically forced me to become his friend. Of course I refused at first but he came too close for my liking. That surprisingly didn't get me all angry and fuming like I thought it would. When he was too close a while ago, I couldn't think straight. Why does he make me feel like that, he even pointed it out to laugh about.

"Don't ever do that again." I clenched my jaw.

"Let me guess, there's something like 'or else'." He made quotes in the air. "I...." He was cut off by someone calling his name. The girl who I assume was my boss's girlfriend, hugged him followed by a kiss on the cheek. "Joan, what the hell are you doing here?" Was that a threat?

Didn't know he had it in him. Huh, who was I kidding. Leandro Manchoza is full of surprises.

"Ruth told me to find you here. Why? Don't you want to see me?" She eyed me intently as if I would ever care about what is going on in her bitchy mind.

"Excuse me." I gave them space to talk as I checked out the site. As I was looking for the simple details of the building, someone almost bumped into me. "Hey, watch it." I hissed.

"Sorry Bella. Please come with me." Before I could say anything, he dragged me to the rooftop.

"I could have walked on my own." I scolded him.

"I know that. Listen, look at me and tell me honestly. What kind of person do you think I am?"

What the...

"I know that you have known me for only few days, but please. Just be honest." He was....... pleading? What did it have to do with me?

"Honestly, I don't give a damn about you or anyone for that matter. Why don't you ask your girlfriend?"

"Don't bring her into this, okay? Tell me." He was really confusing me. "Please."

"What kind of person are you." Who asks such questions. "What kind of question is that?"

"Just answer it. You are talking a lot these days."

"Well.. you are.. annoying," I looked into his eyes, "Pushy," his eyes are going to make me weak some day. I will say things that I don't mean,".. considerate." It slipped before I could think straight.

But his eyes. He smiled and I looked away.

"Thank you. So, how can I get rid of someone without being rude?"

"How would I know that?" I was going to yell at him more, but he reminded me of our friendship of minutes. I massaged my forehead in frustration. "I don't know about you, but I always tell it straight to their faces. You have to be honest and confident with your decision." He was right. I have been talking a lot recently.

"Thank you so much, Bella."

This is the third time he's calling me Bella. Are we growing close?

You wish.

"Wait, are you going to break up with Joan?"

"Yes, because I found the person for me. The one who was made for only me." His eyes were honest and I couldn't even look away. What is wrong with me? I feel like I should never look away. But why? Oh my God, he noticed, by the mocking smirk on his face. I cleared my throat and looked away, "Do you believe in true love, Bella?" That question should be removed in people's minds.

"I don't. It doesn't exist."I answered honestly.

"That means you have never loved before." I may not have been looking at his face but I'm sure he was amused. "That means I will be your first in everything." I know that wasn't supposed to be loud but I heard it loud and clear. I ignored him, " Bye."

"Wait, are you sure about what you are doing?" I signalled towards Joan.

"For you sweetheart." He hurried away before I could completely process what he said.

______

Two days ago, my enemy's daughter invited me for her birthday. I sponsored it myself so that I could see him again. Kenneth Carloza, the man who snatched my life away from me. Just because of him, I lost everything. So, I was preparing for the party. I know that Sergio likes the girl but I don't care anymore. If she doesn't get in my way, I will let her off the hook. I've been anticipating to see him again.

Calm down, Bella.

"No." I told my conscience, "I won't stop until I strip them of their names." With that, I joined the others and we headed out. The venue was well designed and I inwardly congratulated myself on the job well done. I couldn't wait to meet Kenneth.

"Wow, Bella. The party is enviably posh." I have no idea what that means but I nod and I turn to leave, "Wait Bella, where are you going?"

"To meet Kathryn. I'm not going to stay here for long."

"No, no Ms Gucherez. Come." He led me to the table and sat me down with Hailey and Benjie. "You are going to sit here and have a drink with us."

"There's nothing we are going to do here, Sergio." I tried to sound strict but he smiled.

"We are going to be doing everything. Dancing, singing and eating." He went away.

I looked around to see if I could spot the treacherous old man.

"Bella." I turned to look at Benjie. "Who was that man who brought you to the hospital the other day?"

So even these kids were there at the hospital. I groan mentally.