chapter 2

Isabella

"Yes?" I said to the person on the other end of the line.

"Don't forget to bring me the sneakers. Please." It was Sergio, my brother. I hang up and continued driving.

"Boyfriend?" I heard my supposed boss ask, "Husband?" he asked when I didn't answer.

Silence

"You know what, you should try and wipe that frown off your pretty face. It doesn't suit you."

The audacity. I rolled my eyes mentally again.

I drove into the parking Yard of the Manchoza property. Their house was just as big as mine. Only that it had better signs of life all around it. "Welcome home, Mr Manchoza." I said sarcastically as I led the way.

"Ms Gucherez, welcome." So the old man and his wife were waiting for their son. Sweet. I scrunched up my nose in disgust.

I shook David's hand and announced that I would be on my way.

"As I expected. Rude and immoral." Ruth Manchoza said mockingly. I ignored her and walked away.

Who the fuck cares what she thinks. At least I know that I don't.

                      ------

Home. My life was different here. I have my brother, Sergio who has been under my care ever since we lost our parents.

"Christine, I appreciate your efforts in ensuring that my brother is happy."

Christine was our nanny when I turned ten years old. She was so close to my family and even married my father's distant cousin who now works as my supervisor in my business.

"Thanks to you, Bella. They are coming in tomorrow."

If you are wondering, I told her to bring her two little children to stay with us since it's hard for her to move back and forth everyday to meet them. Her husband approved.

"Good." I said and proceeded to join Sergio who had been sleeping over in my room for months now. "Hey Hani." He groaned in frustration.

"I'm 23 years old, Bella. Stop calling me that." He said grumpily.

"Ok." I put up my hands in surrender.

"If you call me that again, I will open the locked room and discover your secrets while you are away." I froze.

"Watch your mouth, Sergio." I warn. "I'm watching you."

"Won't you get married someday?"

Seriously? How was the locked room related to marriage?

"I'm sure there is that man for you." I don't want to ever have such a conversation.

"I'm really exhausted. Go on and rest. I will take a shower real quick and be back." I didn't wait for him to say anymore before I walked away.

I always slept for not more than one and a half hours with sleeping pills, then work. However, sometimes I didn't sleep at all. I liked reading till late, listening to music and then a bit of meditation.

.....

Laura informed me of the emergency meeting and as I sat waiting for the others, I went through some documents.

"Good morning everyone," Mr President greeted with authority and I almost pictured him becoming a politician, "I have called this meeting at such short notice inorder to introduce the vice president of Randcom, Leandro Manchoza." They applauded and introduced themselves as I looked on.

So he was the Leandro Manchoza.

"Thank you all for welcoming me. I believe we shall have a great time together."

"Leandro, meet Ms Gucherez. Your deputy vice president. She's been working here for.....," He trailed off. Of course he didn't know. I got up and shook Leandro's hand. I couldn't help but notice how his large hand engulfed my own.

"Leandro." He said looking at me with a smirk on his face.

"Isabella Gucherez." I told him and he held my hand longer than necessary. I cleared my throat and he let go, before moving closer and turning to look at the others.

"My deputy and I will work together to ensure our jobs are secured." He said and smiled at me. I wanted to roll my eyes but I just maintain my emotionless expression.

And that was it. I had finally met my boss.

"Gucherez, stay back for a minute." I heard Mr Manchoza say. When the others left, I looked at him, "You are his deputy but I'm sure you have equal experience in the field. So Gucherez, I need you to work with Leandro for his first official project with Randcom."

"No problem, sir." I assured him, "Which project?"

"St Patrick's Mansion. It was abandoned 15 years ago. They are returning in two years."

"You mean the old mansion that was burnt down?" Leandro asked.

"Yes. Don't worry, Gucherez knows what to do if it's beyond repair."

I hate to say this but these two were similar in almost every aspect. Expression, the way they became serious one moment and very unserious the next.

"Alright, I'll leave you alone to discuss." He turned to go but was stopped by his son.

"Right now?" He asked as if the mere thought of staying with me alone didn't sit well with him.

"I thought you were ready. "I zoned out as they argued about something.

He finally agreed to work and we studied the project. We decided to visit the site tomorrow as he still argued about how it's a weekend.

And they say women complain a lot.

"We should go later in the afternoon." I suggested because I usually stayed home talking to Sergio about our business.

"Seems like you can't wait to go on a date with me." I could hear the amusement in his voice and didn't I want to smack his ugly face.

Is he really ugly? That is not the point.

"Let's wrap it up for now. Let's make it Sunday though." I ignored his smirk and organized my files.

"Feisty. I like it." He stated, licking his se.......dry, yes, dry lips. He studied my whole body and I suddenly felt self conscious.

He likes you

Shut up!! I told my conscience inwardly, "I will be there at 9 o'clock." I said ignoring his obvious attempt of flirting.

Which didn't work anyway. I mean the flirting.

"That's too early, Isabella."
What?! So it's first name address already?

But the way he says my name is almost...... weird? Ahem.

"I said 'I will be there' not you. Excuse me." I left him glaring at my back. The room suddenly got hot.

We need a bigger AC in the conference room.