Gem

Ren was obviously not happy with them following him onto the ship. But he couldn't do anything about it now.

It reminded Gem of the good old days when she followed Impulse on mining trips and he ended up acting like a parent.

"I want donuts," Tango complained to Gem.

"I don't have donuts, sorry," Gem said to him.

Tango pouted, then looked up hopefully. "Do you have... pancakes?"

Gem huffed. "No, I don't have pancakes!"

"What about golden carrots?" Zedaph asked.

"I do have some of those," Gem said, and gave him one. "But why am I suddenly in charge of all the food? Stop asking me!"

"I'm hungry, though," Tango complained.

Ren walked in. "You guys need to be more quiet," he hissed. "Clarisse heard you. I managed to cover it up by saying it was an undead guy, but just try to be a little more careful! Jeez!"

Gem nodded. Tango and Zedaph, after a brief hesitation, did as well.

During their secret stay aboard the CSS Birmingham, Ren had explained the origins of the ship. It was a boat from the American Civil War, according to Clarisse.

And what was the Civil War?

Gem had no idea.

But Ren and Tango had shared a good laugh and said something about pranks and Capture the Flag.

Gem had a feeling that wars in this world were much less of a laughing matter than they were back home.

She didn't say that out loud, though.

As Ren left, Tango nudged her again. "Do you have any... brownies?"

"No!"

Zedaph sighed and put down his carrot. "All we have is whatever Ren brings us," he said.

"But I want brownies," Tango whined.

Gem froze. "Be quiet," she hissed.

"Be quiet?" Tango demanded. "You be quiet!"

Gem tackled him and put a hand over his mouth as they heard footsteps, and the familiar voice of Clarisse walking by.

"-lifeboat, Miss," a skeleton was saying. "We think they might be in trouble now."

"Oh my goodness," Clarisse grumbled. "WHAT ARE THEY DOING?"

"We await your command," the skeleton said.

"Fine," she said. "Fine. Let's go rescue them. Tell Ren to steer us into Chesapeake Bay."

The skeleton walked away, and then Clarisse did too.

The three Hermits in the bunk room let out the breaths they had been holding.

"That was too close," Zedaph said.

"Who are we rescuing?" Tango asked.

"We aren't rescuing anyone," Gem said. "But Clarisse and Ren and the dead guys are going to rescue someone."

------

It was a few minutes later when Ren walked in. "Guys," he said. "We may or may not have found the rest of the Hermits, plus Annabeth, Percy, and Tyson."

Zedaph stood up so fast that he fell over. Gem jumped. Tango's stomach growled.

"At least they're alive," Zedaph said.