Scar

Yes, you read it right. Scar. As in, Scar Who Died And Who I Might Bring Back But Maybe Not.

~~~

Scar was dead.

But he had never felt so alive.

He knew something bad was happening, from Cleo being dragged down into the Underworld. She wasn't happy when she found Scar under a poplar tree and he told her that it was his fault Hades had gotten her soul.

"Well, in all fairness, you were already dead," Scar said.

"I'm going to kill you," Cleo chattered, clenching her first. "And then I'm going to kill Hades."

"I'm already dead," Scar pointed out. "But hey, I am all for killing Hades."

"You're using that bargaining voice," Cleo said, annoyed. "The one you use when you're trying to get out of something."

"I'm not trying to get out of something!" Scar protested.

Cleo sighed and stared toward the cave ceiling. "Of all the people I could be stuck with for eternity, it's you. Of course it's you. I want to go back and haunt someone."

Scar stood up so fast that he got dizzy, which shouldn't have happened when he was dead. "That's it! We go ask to haunt people."

Cleo snorted. "They're not going to just let us out to haunt people, Scar."

Scar's shoulders slumped. "Dang it."

"We aren't going to be able to escape," Cleo said. "Stop thinking about it."

"But I can't help it!" Scar complained.

He hadn't gotten much out of this conversation. Only that Cleo was mad at him, they were both dead, and that the rest of Hermitcraft probably wasn't doing well.

"Out of curiosity, how did you die?" Scar asked.

"Oh, I was already dead," Cleo said. "Hades just figured out how to get to my soul."

"No, the first time," Scar said.

"It's a long story," Cleo admitted.

"We have eternity," Scar said, then winced because it sounded like a line from a cringey romance movie.

Cleo didn't answer, but Scar knew that she wasn't going to walk away. The Hermits had to stick together, and who knew if they would ever find each other again. They were lucky they had met in the first place.

"On one hand, I'm glad to have company," Scar said, trying to break the awkward silence. "On the other, why are more people dying?"

He thought he knew the answer.

"Because someone was an idiot and gave away Hermitcraft's server address!" Cleo said, throwing her ghostly hands up into the air.

Scar hoped that the look on his face didn't give it away.

It did.

"I AM GOING TO STAB YOU!" Cleo yelled.

"Goodbye!" Scar yelped and ran.