21. I AM COOL!

𓆩♡𓆪

𓆩♡𓆪

   THE CLOCK FEELS LIKE it's going slow just to drive Brooke crazy. The arms of the clock ticking like a slow and painful bomb. Two minutes till Brooke is free. Free from Casey trying to act like he isn't glancing like an owner that kicked his dog one too many times. Free from Stella shoving another plate of fries down his throat.

Two minutes of Brooke internally screaming go by and the clock strikes, signaling the end of her shift until the next time. Her fingers quickly untie the baby blue apron with the ugly burger logo on the front, "And I'm out! Bye!" Brooke clocks out, sending a wave to only Stella yet both Casey and her wave. "Dumbass," Brooke whispers before running across to see Robin, Paisley.....and Steve.

Steve catches Brooke running into the shop, "Off from work?" He smiles without looking at Brooke. "Free!" Brooke yells, dragging out the E at the end, "Are those two still figuring out the translation?"

Steve nods, cleaning off his scooper, "Yeah. You believe all this shit or is Dustin just being creative?" It's part denial on Steve's behalf, not wanting to go through that shit again. And now Russians might be involved? He's heard enough of his dad's rants about the country to know it would all be over for them.

Brooke shrugs, "Really? You were the one that was ready to lay their life on the line to be an American Hero!" She shoves her fist in the air, puffing out her chest how a true hero would. Brooke dangles her hand in the air for a bit before Steve grabs it, gently moving it from the air and to Brooke's side, lingering his grip on her hand before letting go, "It's just—I mean, he said this thing is like, big. Maybe if it can reach Utah, it can reach Russia?" Steve suggests. Brooke's hand feels cold all the sudden once she registers the second too long Steve held it.

The glass windows slide open behind them and out pops an ecstatic Robin and Paisley. "We've got our first sentence," Robin smiles. "Oh, seriously?" Steve turns around. A giggle that Brooke finds familiar sounds in her ear, drowning out what Robin and Paisley are saying about the Russians.

Her eyes go wide and she can't tell if she's panicked or proud to see El with Max in the mall. In public. In a very public area. El and Max's hearts and faces drop seeing Brooke at the counter next to Steve.

"Are we gonna get yelled at?" Max whispers as they slowly approach the counter. El shrugs and just skips ahead. "El?" Brooke harshly whispers. The name makes Steve turn around in confusion, "Oh, she's not supposed to be here," He points right at El.

The redhead laughs, "Oh, now you work together just to get us in trouble?"

"Okay, Max, you let me know what you'll do if the government tries to kidnap her," Brooke dramatically waves her hands, "Is Danny with you? Is he okay with this? I'm not okay with this!" Brooke's reaction is odd to El. She usually lets El get away with a lot, saying something about how she's the cool sister all the time. Steve steps to the side, "What do you girls want?"