10. IT'S GROSS!

𓆩♡𓆪

𓆩♡𓆪

   BROOKE SLOUCHES IN HER chair waiting for her English teacher to start class. The doodle of a mushroom forming under her pen. Robin Buckley takes her usual seat next to Brooke.

   "Hey, Brooke," Robin says as she takes her books out and onto the desk. Brooke stutters a bit as she turns her head to greet her friend, "Hey," She clears her throat and sits up, "Robin. What's up?"

    Robin tilts her head, "Hey, you okay? You've been non-stop talking about Halloween for the past month. Today's the day, Martel!" Robin is more excited for Brooke than Brooke is. Robin is so nice though that Brooke can't find it within herself to be mean even when she's completely exhausted from her anxiety attack earlier.

    "Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry. Just—college shit," Brooke lies. She has no idea how she'll go to college with no parents to help her. She gave the idea up long ago. Robin nods like she understands. Brooke can tell she's about to go on another ramble as she nervously plays with the chain bracelets around her wrist but the teacher cuts her off, along with the bell. 

    THE BUZZ ABOUT TINA'S party is all she hears throughout the day. Even Paisley is excited as she rambles on about it to Jonathan. "I even got these cute little horns your mom gave me at the store," Paisley pulls them out of her bag to show them off. "Did you see Danny's costume?" Jonathan asks Brooke. "Yes, I did, Jonathan. I made the damn thing. They can buy a new car but not get the poor kid a costume," She scoffs remembering staying up sewing the patch onto his Ghostbuster's costume and making the proton—whatever for him.

Brooke didn't mind doing it, she just wishes her parents were—parents.

  "How's Will with the whole, following him around thing?" Paisley asks as they make it to Jonathan's last class. "Oh, he hates it," Jonathan matter of factly says. "Yeah, expected," Paisley shrugs.

   "I have to get to class, children of the corn. I'll see you fuckers, that's including you, Jonathan," She does finger guns as him and backs up into the crowd of people, "later—oh, fuck," Brooke curses as she stumbles into someone. Paisley and Jonathan both glance at each other and quickly disperse away from the area, Paisley walking to her own class and Jonathan walking into his.

   "God, Martel. Did you even look?" Steve teases. Brooke whips her head around and rolls her eyes at Steve, "No. I don't have eyes in the back of my head. Do you have any under your mountain of hair?" She tilts her head and points to his hair.

   "Hey, I take very good care of my hair, alright?" There's not any sense of harshness in his words, if Brooke didn't know any better, she'd think he was just being an annoying friend. "Okay, well, if I don't have eyes in the back of my head then you should be aware of your surroundings, Harrington," Brooke scoffs. "I don't have eyes on the side of my head. I'm not a goldfish, Martel."