6. YEAH, BONKERS

𓆩♡𓆪

𓆩♡𓆪

    BROOKE DIDN'T SLEEP AT all. Paisley only fell asleep thinking of any comforting scenario she could. Jonathan rang the Slora household, telling them to meet them at the local camping store.

    Paisley's household only having one car meant that the two girls were walking. Small town though, which means short distances. "Did you have any nightmares last night?" Paisley asks as she kicks a rock. Brooke kicks the same rock, "Can't have nightmares when you don't sleep." Her head is groggy. Even the cigarette from earlier didn't wake her up much to her disappointment.

  "Why? Did you have one?" Brooke asks. Paisley sighs, wondering if it's worth telling her the nightmare. It was almost too vivid. So vivid that Paisley almost wanted to run over to the Wheeler's in the middle of the night to check on Nancy. Her bloody body pulled from the hole in the tree instead of her sobbing one.

   "Let's just get food," Paisley forces a smile as they enter downtown. She knows there's a really good donut place but she doesn't know how much her body will appreciate a donut as her first meal of the day.

   "We should get them food. I doubt they ate if Nancy is—" Brooke looks up right as they reach the movie theater expecting to see a new movie displayed against the white lights, only to find Nancy's name spray painted in red across it.

  STARRING NANCY THE SLUT WHEELER.

  "Oh, fuck," Brooke curses. Paisley's jaw drops.

   "Nancy, wait!" They hear Jonathan yell but it's too late for either girl to stop Nancy from seeing the horrible lie. As each of her friends take in the writing above them, Nancy Wheeler's heart sinks. Paisley can tell she's trying not to cry. It's a mix of anger and sadness on the girl's face.

  "Jesus," Jonathan whispers. Brooke marches right up to Nancy, grabbing her gently by the shoulders, "This is bullshit, alright? We're gonna find Harrington and I'm gonna—" The sound of Tommy laughing cuts Brooke off. It's like every sensor went off in her body each time she hears it. It's a dreadful noise, really.

   Nancy walks away from them, Brooke right behind her as Paisley and Jonathan tell them to wait. Brooke is pissed at the sounds of their voices. Nancy glances at Brooke who nods, letting her know she has her back. Nancy stomps over to them, ponytail bouncing along with her. "Aw, hey there princess," Carol says.

   "Uh-oh. She looks upset," Tommy laughs. "Shut your mouth, dumbass. Surprised you can even talk with the damage I did to your jaw," Brooke yells at him from behind Nancy. The bruises on Carol and Tommy's face are still very evident. As much as Brooke wants to get immediately to the part where she's kicking their asses, she knows Nancy wants to say what she needs to say first.