Eavesdropping and Invitations

Edwards pov

As I listened into Aria's conversation from Angela's mind; even with Jessica's jealousy being almost non-existent at this point in time she still had some of her other less than savory characteristics.

I was joyful of most of my mates replies to her friends but some left me worried. The fact that my distance and absence had an effect on her was a surprise as she is human I had believed that she wouldn't feel the mate pull as I did, seems I was mistaken.

The fact that she may already be in love with me made me feel like I was alive once more but the down side was that she was not sure of how deep my affection for her was, a fact I would remedy as soon as lunch started and I could talk to her face to face with little to no interruptions.

First period was over and so was second and now I was in gym class with Alice as the two of us slowed all our reactions to make us blend in better with the humans. This week we're doing badminton and Alice was my partner as usual.

I sighed with boredom, swinging the racket in slow motion to tap the birdie back to the other side. Lauren Mallory was on the other team; she missed. Alice on the other hand twirled her racket in a circular motion like a baton, staring at the ceiling in boredom.

We all hated gym, Emmett especially. Throwing games was an affront to his personal philosophy. Gym seemed worse today than usual as I felt just as irritated as Emmett always did.

Before my head could explode with impatience, Coach Clapp called the games and sent us out early. I was ridiculously grateful that he'd skipped breakfast; a fresh attempt to diet and the consequent hunger had him in a hurry to leave campus to find a greasy lunch somewhere. He promised himself he would start over tomorrow.

I was quick to make my way to Aria's math class as I waited outside the door for the class to end leaning on the lockers to the doors right.

"Enjoy yourself", Alice thought as she headed off to meet Jasper. Just a few days more to be patient. "I suppose you won't say hi to Aria for me, will you?"

I shook my head, exasperated. Were all psychics so smug?

"You're not sitting with us today, are you?" I could hear Jessica's voice threw the door as she asked Aria of her lunch plans. "She looks all lit up, she is so sitting with Edward." she thought to herself as I saw Aria's bright eyes and equally bright smile.

The three girls exited the class together and all their eyes widened when they saw me, but of course I couldn't hear my girl.

"That is so cute how he waited for her." Angela squealed in her mind and I winced slightly at the high pitched noise but none of the girls noticed.

"Oh. Wow. He's totally into her...I wish Mike was more like him." Jessica thought as her thoughts became somber as she thought more on her relationship with Mike Newton.

"Hello," I greeted her.

Her face got brighter. "Hi."

She didn't seem inclined to say anything else, so I led the way to the cafeteria and she walked silently beside me before I slipped my hand into her smaller one and pulled her closer to me.

When we got to the lunch line she didn't pick up a try but started putting food on the one in my hands, I looked down at her in confusion as she smile up at me. "I don't like the fact that you waste so much food, I know it's not your fault but it's still a waste, this way it just looks like we're sharing and not as much food is thrown out."

I thought about what she said and wasn't opposed to the idea and I allowed her to fill the tray with enough food for one person but she had it spread across the tray as if it were more than it actually was. As she did this she only took glances at me as she must have noticed all the staring that was on us so it remained quiet until I escorted her to our table.