Bad Pasts

~(Y/N)'s POV~

I smiled as Sans continued to talk while working on this machine. I was in his basement, oddly enough. I had no idea how they moved their house to the surface, much less their basement. "And, uh, yeah, that's basically how Paps got into makin' pastas," he said, sitting up from his position. I sat next to him and handed him a towel to wipe his face, which was covered in grease and sweat. "That sounds...really weird. I have no idea how one lead to another, but good to know!" I said, smiling.

Sans had warmed up to me after Aliza mentioned my distaste for other humans, much to my chagrin. The shorter skeleton had a very macabre sense of humor, making jokes like the infamous "Sally on a Swing" joke and other such. (If you're unfamiliar, I'll comment on this paragraph so you can see what the joke is.) I didn't hate them; I just was a little unsettled by them at times.  Sans also mentioned his past in the Underground, even though it was vague. I ended up making a mental note of everything he'd told me about himself and the Underground:

1. Sans used to be a scientist, alongside a lizard monster named Alphys and another person, who he'd forgotten the name of.

2. He was also a sentry for the Royal Guard at some point, watching and waiting for humans to fall so he could capture them and bring them to King Asgore, who was now deceased.

3. One of the humans to fall in the recent years was Aliza's own older sibling, Frisk. Apparently, they had dusted the King in order to Escape, allowing the already captured SOULs to escape, trapping the monsters for longer.

4. The new Queen, who he didn't name, was a tyrant. She killed people to satisfy her own bloodlust and did it to shift blame off of herself. Sans didn't like nor trust her, even after Aliza had helped her see the error of her ways and make amends.

5. He has really bad trust issues. He didn't elaborate, but he did say a close friend tried to get him killed.

That was all he told me, but it was still a lot to tell to a stranger. I assumed when he was focused on other things, he just talked. Like when someone's drawing or writing and they end up talking complete nonsense or say things they didn't want to unconsciously. (y/nnnn stop calling me outtt...) Sans huffed, breaking me from my thoughts, and handed me the towel back. "So what about cha? I've said a bit 'bout me, but I don't know anythin' concernin' ya and yer past."

I gulped a bit and watched as Sans's red eye locked with my own (E/C) ones. "I didn't have anything abnormal happen in my past. I mean, I grew up here and finished high school pretty easily. Now I work a job at Hot Dog Randy's (please get the reference, i need validation-) so I can pay for  the rest of college." Sans's nonexistence eyebrow raised. "College, huh? What're ya studyin' fer?" "I'm trying to become a psychiatric nurse. Y'know, the kinds that work in wards and stuff?" Sans seemed a bit confused.

"Yer...wantin' ta be a psych nurse?" I nodded again, seeing that Sans was still confused. "Why? I mean, yer gonna see stuff that'll break ya, kid...How long have ya wanted ta go down that path?" I breathed in and out, watching as Sans became more unsettled. "I...something happened, in my past, that...well, it made me want to be able to help people. I really don't want to get into it, though," I said, avoiding eye contact. Sans was quiet for a bit, before finally speaking. "Yeah, I got it, kid. No need to elaborate."

Sans got back to work on this machine of sorts. "So...what even is this thing?" "Well, I can't tell ya, kid. I'd like ta, but I still don't completely trust ya." I nodded, even though he couldn't see me. I understood what he meant. He may have warmed up to me enough to tell me about himself, but it's not the kind of thing you would just tell to someone you met literal hours ago. Wait, hours?! I checked my phone and saw it was late into the night, about 23:00 (11:00 pm). I almost told Sans, but he stopped me by speaking. 

"Y'know, I really appreciate ya bein' so nice ta me, (Y/N). I dunno many people that'd jus' hang out with a monster they never met before." I smiled and scratched the back of my neck. "Well, I don't know many people that's just hang out with a human they never met before." Sans laughed and came out from beneath the machine, taking the towel and wiping his face with it again. "Yer a hoot, kid...anyways, I should get cleaned up. C'mon, I bet Pap would love ta make ya some food," he said, walking towards the door.

As he opened it, he groaned. "Ah fuck, it's the middle of the night...sorry kid, didn't mean ta keep ya here so long," he said, turning back around. "No, it's alright! I'm glad we spent some time together, I hope we can do it again soon!" Sans thought for a second, before smiling. "How about ya stay over fer the night? Paps and Aliza are prolly already sleepin', so ya can take my bed and I'll take the couch!" I almost argued, saying I should get the couch, but Sans had already left.

I sighed and walked out, going back into the house. Sans had gotten a pillow and blanket, laying down on the couch. "My room's next ta Pap's, his has a sign on it." Instead of arguing, I decided to accept his hospitality and head into his room. It was bare, besides the piles of laundry and trash. A mattress laid on the floor, with a single pillow and light blanket. I took my shoes off and got into the bed, if you could call it that. Sleep came quick, and I'm glad I got a new friend.

A/N: Thanks for being so patient with this book. I totally pushed it to the side with work, the doctors, and my other book. Glad to finally be back! Today's poll is:

Soda?

or 

Juice?

Date: 8/14/22

Word Count: 1050