Author Note

As promised, here is some information and resources on sexual violence. It's never okay. And help is available. ❤️

We had some difficulty finding international hotline numbers, so we encourage you to search for the number in your country if you ever need to connect with someone who can help.

(If you are reading this from somewhere outside of the US, and you happen to know the number for your country, please feel free to post it in the comments!)

Source: CDC.gov ⬇️

Sexual violence is sexual activity when consent is not obtained or freely given. It is a serious public health problem that profoundly impacts lifelong health, opportunity, and well-being. It impacts every community and affects people of all genders, sexual orientations, and ages. It can occur in person, online, or through technology.

Sexual violence affects millions of people every year. Researchers know the numbers underestimate this problem because many cases are unreported. Survivors may be ashamed, embarrassed, or afraid to tell the police, friends, or family about the violence.

The data shows that sexual violence is common. Over half of women and almost 1 in 3 men have experienced sexual violence involving physical contact during their lifetimes. One in 4 women and about 1 in 26 men have experienced completed or attempted rape.

The consequences of sexual violence are both physical and mental, they follow a person throughout the rest of their life. And while it happens everywhere and to women and men of all ages, it is common on college campuses. Among adults, sexual assault happens most often to traditionally college-age women.

Source: womenshealth.gov ⬇️

Campus sexual assault often involves alcohol and drugs. One study found that 15% of young women experienced incapacitated rape during their first year of college.

What does that mean?

Being incapacitated means these young women were raped when they could not give consent because they did not know what was happening. Many young adults use alcohol or drugs for the first time during college. Using drugs or drinking too much alcohol can make you unaware of what is happening around you and to you.

Only one in five college-age women who are sexually assaulted report the attack to the police. Talking about sexual assault to strangers can be difficult, but reporting sexual assault can prevent attackers from hurting others and help you feel more in control. Reporting also helps school officials make arrangements so you do not have to have contact with someone who assaulted you.

College-age women often live with people their own age on campus, rather than parents or other older adults. Students may feel peer pressure to participate in social activities like drinking, using drugs, going to parties, or engaging in sexual activities that make them uncomfortable. Being forced into unwanted sexual activity for social acceptance is a type of sexual coercion.

What steps can I take to be safer on a college campus?

You cannot prevent sexual assault because violent or abusive behavior is always the responsibility of the person who is violent or abusive. However, you can take steps to be safer around others and help keep others safe from potential perpetrators.

-Get to know someone well before spending time alone with him or her. College is often about meeting new people and making new friends. But do not rely only on someone you just met to keep you safe.

-Go to parties or hangouts with friends. Arrive together, check in with each other, and leave together. Talk about your plans for the evening so that everyone knows what to expect. Meet first dates or new people in a public place. Listen to your instincts or "gut feelings."

-Most women who are sexually assaulted know the person who assaults them. If you find yourself alone with someone you don't trust, leave. If you feel uncomfortable in any situation for any reason, leave. You are the only person who gets to say whether you feel safe.

-Be aware of your alcohol or drug intake. Research shows that about half of sexual assault victims had been drinking when the attack happened. Drinking alcohol does not make the attack your fault, but using alcohol and drugs can lead to being unaware of what is happening around you or to you. Keep control of your own drink, because someone could put drugs or alcohol in it without you knowing.

-Be aware of your surroundings and have a plan to get home. Avoid talking on your phone or listening to music with headphones. Know where you are as you move around the campus. At night, stay in lighted areas, or ask a friend or campus security to go with you.

If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, help is available.