4. If You're Not Early, You're Late

Red, blue, and a very vibrant yellow are currently splattered across my legs

Red, blue, and a very vibrant yellow are currently splattered across my legs. To say art in the Caterpillar Room was messy would be a grand understatement. When we were presented with our morning schedule, I was surprisingly pleased to see I'd be working with some of our youngest campers.

When I was a kid, I started out in the Inchworm Room, helping to manage the daycare center. I was usually there with Sadie, just following her lead, but I always loved the tiny giggles and genuine curiosity within the tiniest of eyes. They say innocence is bliss and I truly believe it. There's a different depth of light in a child's eye that just carries so much contagious joy.

Knowing I would be with the five year olds had me thinking back to those days, and I was looking forward to exploring the world of art through their eager eyes. What I wasn't fully prepared for was a paint day. I'm pretty sure more of the paint ended up on me than the actual paper.

I wouldn't trade it for anything though. There's something about this place. I've been coming here every summer, and each time it just gets better. To see the look on these kids' faces when they arrive, there's just so much excitement. Of course there's always a small group who would rather be somewhere else, but as soon as the thrill of activities begin, they all fall victim to laughter. It's one of my favorite parts, seeing the too cool for school kids becoming wrapped up in the innocent joy of camp games.

I don't know, I guess I just feel lucky to be a part of it all seeing as I'm not actually a local. By all technicalities, this shouldn't be an option for me. It's funny to think about though. How I was actually born here. I don't remember a whole lot about New York. I remember the fighting. I remember the...

What's most important is I remember a lot more about California. I remember the first time I caught my mom singing in the shower. It was after one of her runs on the beach. I thought she was just super energized or something but now I know the truth. It's the first time she ran into Tommy there. Their place.

I guess in the end, everything landed just how it was supposed to. Mom and I weren't actually meant for New York, but I do think we were meant to be here in the beginning. I think it's where we were destined to start our lives, but California was always our next step. And now, I get to have one of the best pieces of that New York life. A piece that used to be Tommy's, that he's passed onto me. And I love that I have it, that I get to experience it.

Minus the paint.

I mean, it's not really that bad. The smiles and pure laughter radiating out of that room made every splatter across my arms and legs worth it. I may be a walking canvas, but I still wouldn't trade it. I don't know, I just love spending a few weeks here each summer, regardless of whatever art filled activity is involved.

The subtle buzz of my phone has me pulling to the side of the hallway. The goal was to rinse off before lunch, but seeing Ben's name across my screen means I may not have enough time to clean up and eat.