39. She's Mine

"I can't believe this is happening," Mia mutters under her breath as she paces the floor of my dorm

"I can't believe this is happening," Mia mutters under her breath as she paces the floor of my dorm. "I'm so nervous, I want to cry."

Fuck that. Not gonna happen. I don't think I could handle seeing her cry again, ever.

"Don't you dare cry, Tink," I say, moving to stand in front of her, stopping her from taking another anxious step. I bring my hands up to her face and tilt her head back to look at me. "Why are you nervous?"

"Oh gee, I don't know," she replies, sounding exasperated. "Meeting your parents? Having dinner with them?"

"You've met my parents before," I remind her, trying to hide my amusement. "You've also had dinner with them. Plenty of times. Remember that thing where our families know each other?"

"Yeah..." Her hands reach out for me, and her eyes go soft as they lock onto mine. "But this is different."

"How is it different?"

"Because that was before..."

"Before what?" I ask, smirking. "Before we started fucking and catching feelings?"

"Gray!" She smacks me on the arm. "Do you kiss your mother with that mouth? What if they heard you?"

"They're in the parking lot, Tink. And I assure you, they won't be surprised by any mention of me fucking someone."

"Even if it's me you're fucking?"

I tip my chin at her. "You kiss your mother with that mouth?"

"I'm just saying," she mumbles with a healthy eye roll, "they may know who I am, but they don't really know me as..."

"The person I caught feelings for?" I finish the sentence for her, still amused. But also understanding her hesitation. After all, the feelings part is the part they might be surprised about. I've only brought one other girl to dinner before. It was back when I was seeing Hannah, and it was her idea, not even mine.

Having Mia by my side today, when my parents just flew in from New York for the weekend is... saying something. She knows it, too. She wasn't even sure about joining us, insisting that she'd be infringing on family time, but I couldn't imagine not bringing her along.

I guess that's what happens when you catch feelings for someone.

Mia's eyes are busy as she glances at the door, working something out in her head. "Are you going to tell them I'm your..." She inhales a deep breath and lets it out slowly before finishing, "Girlfriend?"

My heart picks up a pace at the mere mention of that word. I love how it sounds. I love the images that come to mind when I think of her holding that title.

I turn Mia's face to look at me. "Are you my girlfriend?"

"I don't know," she whispers, smiling. I fucking love her smile. I'm beginning to think I'm just a lost cause for anything involving this girl. "I feel like I am, but... we haven't really had time to discuss titles..."