20. I Need Your Help

There's absolutely nothing like having your best friend at your side

June and I are no strangers to distance. We've spent the majority of our friendship with a country between us, only getting together a few weeks in the summer and every other Christmas when my family spends the holidays in New York. And though she's now only a few hours away at Cal Poly, there's still distance between us.

But see, that's the thing about a best friend. Time and space doesn't mean a single thing. You could go months without talking, years without even stepping foot in the same room, but as soon as you do, as soon as you're together again, it's like no time has passed.

There's something else about a best friend. Something that I so desperately need right now. They always know how to make all the bad shit seem a whole lot lighter. Given the fact that I'm still barely keeping my chin above water between class and softball, I needed this weekend more than anything.

I reach for another cookie, courtesy of June's deal with Grayson. The perfect goddess of flavor blesses my taste buds as I let out the smallest moan. Yes, I'm moaning, it's delicious.

"Do you need to be alone?" June smiles my way.

I can't help but overdramatize even more, closing my eyes and letting out another moan, this one louder, a little over the top.

"You're ridiculous," she laughs, grabbing a pillow and throwing it at me.

I reach out, grabbing it from the air before launching it right back at her. Her reflexes aren't as sharp as the pillow slams into her chest.

"Seriously," she laughs, placing the pillow into her lap. "You sure your roommate doesn't mind me crashing here tonight?"

"I'm sure. She's staying with some girls from the team. Their place is right next to the party we're going to tonight and since you were going to be here anyway, she said she'd stay there."

"Okay. I don't want to put anyone out, and I have it on good authority you're an excellent cuddler," she smiles.

"Shut up. I don't cuddle."

"I share a bed with you every summer."

"Which is exactly why you should know I don't cuddle."

She laughs, knowing damn well I'm not a cuddler.

"Really, though," she falls a bit more serious, playing with the string on the pillow in her lap. "How are you doing with everything?"

I've shared a bit of what's going on with June. How hard it's been adjusting to a ridiculously packed schedule, how I can't seem to find a routine that actually works. And most of all, that my dad's being released in two weeks.

"I'm okay. Things are settling a bit," I shrug a shoulder, standing and making my way to my closet to find a shirt for tonight.

"Settling," she repeats. "Is that your way of saying you're just finding a way to survive?"