28. Excellent Study Partner, Minus the Studying

The streets are busy, bustling with laughter and various crowds of chatter

The streets are busy, bustling with laughter and various crowds of chatter. The signs on the different storefronts are already lit up as the sun begins to disappear. It's a short walk from our dorm, but stepping away from everything to grab something to eat can feel like a lifesaver sometimes.

"Thanks for lugging my ass out tonight, Mia. After the game today, I really just wanted to bury myself in a tub of rocky road and call it a night," Lindsey exhales, her shoulder tapping against mine as we make our way down the sidewalk.

She wasn't her usual peppy self after the game today, and I know sulking in bed is exactly what your body wants to do after a rough outing, but that is also the last thing you need.

You see, when I was fourteen, I had three strikeouts, yes three. And as if that wasn't the end of the world right there, I also made an error that cost us a run. I felt worthless. I mean, I had had bad games before, but that was more than just bad. To say I shut everyone out that evening would be an understatement.

I remember giving my family the silent treatment the whole way home. They tried. But I really didn't feel like smiling. Not after the disaster I put on display.

Before I even had a chance to close myself up in my room and hide for eternity, Tommy made a pit stop, pulling us into Fast Eddy's where the burgers come greasy and the fries never stop coming. I was in no mood to eat, but my family dragged me into that restaurant, ordered me some food, and continued to sing the songs playing on the jukebox at the top of their lungs until I finally cracked a smile.

It was one of the worst moments, yet somehow, became one of my favorite memories. And it's the exact reason we're headed for some comfort food off campus. If you can count the local burger joint as off campus, seeing as it tends to be the student gathering place.

"Come on, Linds. It was one game, and it's preseason."

"Okay, Miss 3-4 with two RBIs. It must be real easy to give the whole we all have our days speech when you're still flying high off your two doubles."

I really shouldn't be smiling, but I'm fucking smiling. I freaking crushed it today. Sucks we lost it in the seventh when Linds gave up a two run bomb, but there's nothing we can do about it now. And it's not her fault. We left runners in scoring position in two innings. Natasha had an error that cost a run and our number four batter went hitless. So, we all could have played better. It just sucks when you're the one to give up that last go ahead run.

"Look, I get it. I really do. But that's why we're here. You need some greasy indulgence to drown out the game. And nothing is better than a cheeseburger and chili cheese fries to do just that."

She smiles, letting her head drop as I reach for the door. We're barely two steps in before she's spinning around, crashing into me.

"Oh my gosh, he's here," Lindsey's nails dig into my arm.