17. Mission: Avoid Grayson Adler at All Costs

One week of college is officially in the books and I am exhausted

One week of college is officially in the books and I am exhausted. All I really want to do right now is melt into the covers of my bed and ignore all responsibilities for the rest of the weekend. Between morning training, classes, practice, and assignments already lining up, I'm functioning on borderline zombie status.

Unfortunately, I'm not currently cuddled up in blankets with a warm cup of hot chocolate. No, I'm far from it. Instead, I'm standing out front a decently sized house, taking in the ridiculous tiki torches lighting a path up to a door with a plastic Hawaiian printed tapestry.

Apparently this whole luau theme Lindsey told me about is an actual thing. I kind of thought jean shorts and my bright turquoise shirt had luau vibes, but as a group of girls saunter past me in hula skirts and bikini tops, I soon realize the theme is not just a gentle gesture but a full on notion to embrace.

I slowly make my way up the steps, taking a few deep breaths before walking inside. Most of my team is already here, having gone to the football game together earlier. I, on the other hand, chose to actually accomplish an assignment before joining them for some social interaction. I'm not completely opposed to a good time, and since I skipped out on the game, I figured a party might actually be fun. Besides, it's the first weekend away from home and the freedom of attending a party without any questions or curfew sounded far too enticing.

Walking through the threshold, I'm hit with a wave of festive island cliche. Pretty sure someone wiped the summer Dollar Store shelves clean and plastered every inch of this place in over the top decor. We're talking inflatable palm trees, colorful lights strung along the walls, tables lined in fake grass and flower garland strung like intrusive ivy all over the walls.

"Mia!" I don't have to turn to know my roommate is behind the loud shriek from my right. "Mia, you owe me a shot, come on!"

"Hey, Linds," I turn to face my already intoxicated roommate. She clearly got the luau memo seeing as her top is a bright green bathing suit.

"Here," she passes me a neon pink shot glass, nearly spilling the liquid in the process.

"I'm good."

"You don't drink?"

My eyes flash back down to the shot in her hands. "I do. Just not always."

"And today isn't always?"

I can't help but laugh. "What?"

"Come on," she pleads, ignoring my confusion. "It's the first party of the year. Drink with me."

Seeing as she's already plastered, I think I'll stick to being the sober, clear headed roommate tonight. "Maybe next time."

"Ugh, fine. But at least come over here with the girls." Her hand is in mine before I can respond, pulling me over to a group from the team. They're all wearing similar outfits to Lindsey. More bathing suits, lots of flowery patterns, and hula skirts galore.