Chapter 39

The rest of the meeting was a blur to the ghoul, she zoned off after the scouts no longer needed to inform the higher ups of the following parts of the mission. She was glad that none of her comrades mentioned her place throughout the retaking of wall Maria, and even more thankful that no one made comment about her change in hair colour. She still had to get used to that fact herself, at least Levi gave her some relief by saying it was nice.

As soon as the scout returned to her room, she put on some casual clothing. Consisting of some burgundy trousers, a white button up shirt and a brown corset, leaving the top few buttons of her shirt open for her own comfort. Kaya had to admit that she missed her darker hair, but eventually, it would grow back as normal. Although, she wasn't aware of how strange it would look to have her roots grow back a different colour to her hair.

The ghouls eyes averted from the mirror towards her window, where many civilians lined up to read the latest news on the titans. An article was published a few hours ago, but that didn't prevent a whole new spurge of questions being fired at the scouts.

A knock came from the other side of the door before a short figure walked in, barely making himself known to the ghouls eyes. She knew it was him, and didn't need to hide anything, nor act any different.

"Hey." She spoke, not turning to face Levi.

"Hey." He returned, wrapping his arms around her from behind, earning a light laugh from the ghoul.

"New mission?" Kaya asked, quirking a brow as to why he visited so early.

"Sort of." The captain sighed. "Hange wants us to tag along to a newspaper agency. The people need answers, and apparently, it's our job to answer them." He sounded annoyed.

"I see where they're coming from, but haven't the scouts done enough for humanity. Can't we leave this for the MPs or even the garrison?" Kaya agreed.

"Doesn't look like it." He said, leaning onto Kaya's shoulder to observe the people below. Feeling a sense of urgency, the captain changed the subject. "We better get going, wouldn't wanna be too late." Kaya hummed in response, holding his hand discreetly as they walked along the streets of Trost.

Soon enough, they arrived at the agency. Hange was already there, their mouth curved upwards when they saw the two scouts' intertwined fingers. "About time you two showed up, I was beginning to think you weren't coming." They scolded.

"Tea?" One of the writers offered.

"Sure, I could go for a tea, black." She replied.

"Same here." Levi made himself known.

When the three scouts were given some peace and quiet, Hange initiated conversation, ruining it for both of the underground originators. "So.... What's going on with you two?" They asked, wriggling their eyebrows like a child. "And when exactly did all of this happen?"

"All of what?" Levi questioned, not giving Hange the satisfaction of an answer.

"The handholding, the hugging, the kissing, the private conversations, etcetera." The scientist elaborated.

"Tch." Levi grunted, turning to look out the window once again, ignoring Hange.

"Cmon Kaya, give me some details." Hange pleaded. "Was he a good kisser? Who initiated it? Have you two, you know?"

"Kill me now." Kaya placed her head in her hands, too tired for an interrogation.

Before anymore questions could be asked, the two reporters entered the room, carrying with them, five cups of tea, along with some biscuits each. Once everyone had settled down, Levi still refused to take his seat next to Hange, but they relayed information regardless.