Chapter 15

Kaya didn't even have to move before she could feel the pain she inflicted on herself prior, that fall did a number on the ghoul. She slightly opened her eyes to see she was lying next to an unconscious Hange and tuned in to hear the galloping of horses. Kaya twisted her neck and heard a crack before looking down at her mess of a body, everything was out of place and twisted, if she found a scout looking like this then she would have ended their pain. Luckily, the scouts decided to save the ghoul and brought her back on top of the wall to heal with the others.

"Good to see you commander Erwin, glad you're here." The ghoul heard Moblit say as she also managed to notice Hange moving around next to her.

"Is the situation still the same?" Erwin asked Moblit.

"Yes sir."

"Good to know, right, deploy the lifts." Erwin ordered the troops.

Kaya observed the higher ups closer and saw Hange grab onto Moblit's leg, which resulted in the dirty blonde letting out a light shriek. "Don't just stand there, give me a map." The scientist managed to choke out. "It's a gamble but the trees in this forest are massive, I say we ride straight for it. See even if they made a cover for the armoured titans footprints, this is almost definitely where we would find them." Hange explained.

"Why's that?" The commander asked.

"They need to recoup, they have the power to assume titan form but other titans on that side of the wall still pose a threat, especially after putting up such a fight, yes Eren was the worst for it but they've got to be spent. Remember when Annie went out cold, let's suppose they're headed somewhere beyond wall Maria, that's not a simple hike, they'll need all the rest that they can get before covering that much distance. They're in no shape to do it in a single push and so they'll want to catch their breath somewhere other titans can't get to them. Odds are they'll hold out till dark. We have until sundown, if we can reach the forest by then, we might just have a chance to save them!" The scientist explained to all the scouts, garrison and military police alike.

Kaya on the other hand, tried her best to fix everything back into place and it was painful as hell. The thief tried to restrain her screams and managed to get to Hange while the other scouts were busy preparing for the task ahead. "Hange, I'm going too." The ghoul said in a vengeful voice.

"Kaya? What the hell, I thought you were dead?" Hange gasped.

"Ha, you think I'm gonna let some filthy titan kill me? I was in pretty bad shape, I'm surprised you even brought me back up the wall." The thief chuckled, but got back to her main point. "I'm going to get Eren back, I promised Levi I wouldn't let another squad mate die. My gear got destroyed on the fall, do you know where I could get some?" Kaya asked, determination present in her tone.

"A-ask Moblit, but you better explain everything when you get back!" Hange yelled as Kaya began to run towards Moblit and receive her new gear. Moblit was also in shock that Kaya was alive, let alone running and going on the mission, but he let it slide when Hange gave him the ok.

The ghouls expression was laced with determination as she rode her horse in the formation, Kaya wasn't going to lose another squad member, she needed to save Eren while she still had the chance.

"Be on the look out, all riders assume formation." Erwin commanded. Kaya stuck with Mikasa in the formation, knowing that out of all people, she was probably best suited to help her get Eren back.

"Mikasa, hey Mikasa, HELLO. stop pushing so hard, you're drifting up into the vanguard, you wanna break the whole formation? Look I know how you feel, but what did I tell ya, Eren's not gonna let those assholes get the best of him, without a fight, agreed? Kid just doesn't have it in him to give up, all we gotta do is have a little faith he'll hold on till the rest of us get there." Hannes reassured Mikasa, but also managed to slow the ghouls pace, who was also trying to push ahead.