Chapter 24

"Thank you for joining me here today, I'd like to discuss matters involving the orphanage that we've recently established." Historia greeted the room, filled with high ranking military officers. Kaya and Levi complied to her request and wanted to do whatever they could to help the children of the underground.

"So far, we've helped people from the previous titan attacks and others who've been separated from their families. However, my goal is to spread the message to the underground and give them the support they need above ground." Historia continued.

"I understand that you've brought in two of your old comrades, both of which are from the underground. What can you tell us about our main objective and the obstacles we may face?" Premier Zackery asked the two.

Levi and Kaya rose before Levi gave his statement. "In the underground, it's every man for himself. So there's no one to confide in or to rely on for people of all ages, leading some people to turn to drastic measures in order to provide for themselves. One of the main causes of abandonment stems from prostitution. If you're in that business, it's hard to supply for yourself, let alone a child." Levi finished.

"But those children who do slip out have no where to go and no one to trust. So, being as innocent as they are, they confide in the first person who offers. After all, what have they got to lose?" Kaya asked rhetorically. "That's another obstacle, human trafficking. It's been going on long enough to have developed its own network out of military eyes. I tried to suppress them as best I could but since I became a soldier, who knows how much it's progressed." The ghoul added.

"How do you propose we deal with this threat?" Zackery followed up.

"Human trafficking and prostitution are both a threat, however, if we take down the trafficking network then it will stop people from being sold into the life of prostitution. Essentially slaying both enemies at once. As soon as we've established a way to promote new jobs and help provide people with resources, it should give different opportunities and places to turn to if necessary." Historia explained.

"I see. My queen, you have my backing on this matter. All in favour?" Premier Zackery stood, followed my multiple others rising. One man remained seated, it wasn't until Kaya glared at him that made him stand.

"I'm thankful for your loyalty, you may go back to your posts." The queen told the higher ups.

Kaya and Levi stayed to receive orders from Historia, her plan was full proof, they just had to find a way to execute it. "So what's the plan?" Kaya inquired.

"I don't mean to trouble the scouts, but I was hoping that you two would take lead on this matter." Historia looked away, frightened that they were going to refuse, almost forgetting that she was the queen.

"We'll take the squad, it'll help take their minds off things and give Eren a break from experiments." Levi suggested.

"Yeah, but we can't just target the one network, we have to take them all down. Which means we should infiltrate the most powerful and get the information to take down the others from there." The ghoul included.

Historia nodded as she guided them out of the room. "We'll meet with the others, they're helping out at the orphanage right now so let's head there."

Outside of the palace was a carriage awaiting them, Historia always seemed to be coming and going to and from her farm so it became well known for her to leave at any given time. The three eagerly stepped into the carriage and began to discuss their plan.

"How exactly are you planning on infiltrating the traffickers?" Levi questioned.

"I'm going to allow myself to get kidnapped." Kaya said cheerfully. "It'll work, I'm exactly what kidnappers look for. Small, defenceless and weak, or so they think. Once I get abducted, I want you and the squad to follow along, just like the doubles mission a few days ago." She explained on a more serious note.

The main reason Kaya wanted to be abducted alone was because of the horrific things that they were subjected to on their last mission, most importantly, Armin. The look on his face still made the ghoul feel guilty for dragging him into doing his part.

"No, you're not doing it alone. Or do you forget what happened last time." Levi ordered, referencing Armin's discomfort.

"That's why I want to do it alone, I don't want to put any of our squad through that, they're only kids." Kaya answered.

"What happened last time?" Historia asked, not knowing the measures the scouts took to retrieve her and Eren.

Kaya and Levi sat silently, not wanting to bring up a topic that shouldn't have to be discussed. "You won't even take Mikasa with you?" Levi dismissed her question.

Kaya thought for a moment, Mikasa was strong and had a good resolve, but the two didn't exactly get along well. That shouldn't matter though, Kaya was willing to risk her life to save Mikasa and Mikasa didn't have to be concerned with the ghouls wellbeing.

"I guess it would be best to have some form of backup on the inside. Fine, but only if she agrees." The thief complied.

The carriage soon arrived at the orphanage and were swarmed with children and some members of their squad. Most of the kids started to hug Historia, but some of them had the courage to tug on the other two's legs and embrace them.

"Um, hi there." Kaya waved to the young who were surrounding her.

"Are you the scary soldier who stopped a sword with your bare hand?" A child pointed at her.

"Is it true you never eat food?" Another asked.

"Did Toria punch you." Someone turned to Levi.

"Looks like someone's been gossiping about us." Kaya nudged the captain.

"Seems so." Levi turned to Historia who looked slightly panicked. "Take it you had something to do with this?" He asked.

"We were just talking and they just happened to be listening in. It wasn't my intention for the rumours to spread so quickly." The queen reassured.

"Have the squad meet us in Eren's room." Kaya changed the subject.

Historia nodded and went to gather the squad, while Levi and Kaya walked towards Eren's room. "Well, that wasn't awkward at all." The ghoul said sarcastically.

"You caught her blade with your bare hand and you're surprised that they're suspicious?" The captain rhetorically asked.

"I think I've made my decision." The ghoul started. "I won't hide the fact that I'm a ghoul, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to keep my eating habits a secret." She decided. Kaya didn't like lying to her squad at all, but it was too good to be true for them to accept the fact she ate humans. Levi and Hange accepted her, but they were all close. Where as her squad was made up of teenagers, she may have saved them numerous times but that didn't change their lack of understanding.

"Speaking of eating habits, are you hungry at all?" Levi asked her.

"I haven't payed much thought to it, we've all had a lot to deal with these last few weeks. But I'm sure I'll find a way around it, I always do." She answered.

Within no time, the squad were all present in Eren's room since they thought it would be safest to avoid anyone listening in. Kaya's eyes glossed around the room and she lifted a brow towards Eren. "Really Eren, you'd think you'd learn to keep the place tidy." She scoffed.

Levi glided his fingertips across a book shelf and grimaced. "Disgusting."

"Anyways." Historia interrupted. "You've got a new mission."