Chapter 73

Wu Kai came to the realization that what he was doing to his wife was not right, he broke the kiss and moved his hand up to her head and gently stroked her hair.

Xiu looked up at her husband in a questioning look as she continued to pant out of breath.

He looked at her face as he gently stroked her hair and gritted his teeth as he watched her breathless panting. Wu Kai leaned down to his wife's neck and kissed it as he pressed his body down on hers. He inhaled her scent and closed his eyes and finally heaved a big sigh out....

He put his arms around her and held her as he rolled over to be on the bottom and she atop of him.

Xiu looks down at her husband as her panting slows down to a steady pace, really concerned about him, Xiu finally asks, "is everything alright, Milord?"

Wu Kai moved his hands up towards her upper back and held her tighter. Seeing his expression, Xiu leans her head down on his chest and caresses his arm. She can hear him struggling to form his words.

"Tis alright..." Xiu said softly and gently patted him.

Wu Kai clenched his jaws as tears slipped down from his eyes and he quickly wiped them away. "My most trusted friend and comrade in arms is dead," he said shortly and closed his eyes, trying to stop the pain.

Xiu can hear the anguish and sadness in her husband's voice, not knowing what to do or say, she just nods her head and continues to pat him gently on his arm. Xiu does not understand his deep anguish nor grief towards others.

But there is one thing she is certain though...that is, if her husband were to be of no more in this world. She would surely feel the same way as he felt now, mayhaps even more so.

Moreover.....Xiu felt as if a part of her was hurting as well, seeing him in such pain. This was something new to her...

It makes Xiu wish.......that it could've been her who was experiencing the pain instead. She never knew that such tender emotions would have existed in her as well.....

______________________

2 hours later.

Xiu sat up on the bed and looked towards her husband sleeping soundly as she fixed her clothes. Seeing how much pain and grief he was in earlier, the friend that died must've been someone very important to him.

At that moment, she made up her mind that whatever had happened the past 3 days, Xiu will get to the bottom of it.

She will do whatever it takes to make sure her husband is happy and be the person he was. Xiu stood up from the bed and turned to look at him for a few moments before leaving the room.

The moment she stepped out of the door, Meiling appeared in front of her.

Xiu closed the door gently behind her, "call the maid from earlier to meet me in the main hall". Meiling noticed how serious her Mistress looked, she bowed quickly and went to do as asked.

Two maids walked towards her and bowed as Meiling was a few steps away.

"Brew me some tea in the main hall" Xiu said and made her way there briskly.

"Yes, Mistress" they both said in unison and quickly followed after her as they looked at each other in fright.

They had heard from the servants who came with the caravan that Mistress Liu was kind but can be very frightening if you choose not to be on her side.

Tis not because of that, that both of the maids were frightened though.... Twas because the General had already made it clear to everybody days prior to the Mistress's arrival.

None would have dared to oppose the Mistress of the house, that is......if anyone had dared to offend the Mistress, their head would be hanging on the city gates.

Which, none of the servants doubts the General at all. As they've already seen what he is capable of doing. That is why everybody had been doing their utmost to serve the Mistress well and had even cleaned every corner of the Manor to welcome her as well.

They did not want to offend the Mistress.

Xiu sat down on the main hall chair and sighs out loud in thoughts, "Sigh....." One of the maids quickly bowed and left to go grab a teapot and a cup.

Xiu sighs again and looks up at the maid that was still with her, "What is your name?"

Nervously the maid bowed and quickly answered, "Qiu Jia, Mistress!"

Seeing how nervous the young girl looks, Xiu shakes her head and sighs again, "Tell me how the General's day to day is here at the Manor"

_____________________

Next update:  08/21/22