Chapter 62

"Nothing much, Milord" she looked up and replied to him.

Wu Kai quickly noticed a wistfulness deep in her eyes that he had never noticed before. Before he could comment, it was quickly concealed with her cordial smile. The smile that she always wore whenever she puts up a facade.

"I apologize Milord for not informing you about my findings, I shall be sure to let you know from now on"

Wu Kai grinned and put his head on her lap, he took a wisp of her hair and played with it.

She does not understand him, why is he acting as tis alright? Xiu knew that what she did was withholding important information that could hinder everyone's safety.

"Meiling was my maidservant that I had sent to your house 3 years ago" she commented, wanting him to react.

But instead, he just kept playing with her hair and not saying anything.

"She was meant to spy on your family and send me any important information that she finds"

"And?" he replied while still playing with her hair.

Xiu grasped his hand, "Do you...." she stopped herself short and let go of his hand. Xiu did not want to expect anything. So many times had that expectations come crumbling down. Each time Xiu tries, it is pushed aside.

"Do you not understand Xiu! That is not something for you to meddle in, your older brother shall be the Lord someday, you should know your place in this house! I did not raise you to be such a vile person"

Xiu stood holding the cutup dress in her hand.

"Apologize to your brother right now!"

Xiu stood unmoving. She did not think it wrong of her to hit him when he cut up the dress.

SLAP.

Xiu's cheek burned.

Zing~ Zinnnnng. "How unfilial can you be! Apologize right now!" Zinnnnng.

Her ear rang.

Did he not recognize? ~Zinnnng. Xiu squeezed her hands on the dress tight. Had he forgotten tis the dress he gifted her? ~Zinnng. She held back her tears.

Zing.

What can she expect? In her 8 years in this house, Xiu is always in the wrong.

She held her emotions back and bowed her head.

Over the years, Xiu had learned to be strong. And to be strong has meant that she's out of everyone's sight. To do so Xiu had to be smarter, become numb to things around her and do things that could not be traced back to her. She had to give up many things to obtain the only thing that she has control of and......that is peace with herself.

"Sigh....." Wu Kai sighed and sat up. He lifted his hand.

Xiu was right. He cared deeply about his family, she braced herself for the impact.