Chapter 66

Meiling began to account for what she had learned.

"Qinyang was the hardest one for me to find out about. She did not seem like she was involved at all. But there were subtle little actions that I noticed about her that did not add up. Such as her faintings, there weren't any bruises or injury from her falls. Or how she always seamlessly gets away from certain situations. I've not confirmed but she must've been the mastermind. I also believe she must had the most information"

Wu Kai nodded.

Meiling knew that the information that she was relaying to him would not help much. "My mission from the Mistress was just to find out about the tea culprits. Otherwise, the only information I know is that the three women were definitely involved in the attack four days ago. I've been tailing Qinyang, Caihong and Xiulan during those days and in those times, Caihong was always looking for something, while Qinyang would either enter a tent after Caihong or Xiulan would leave that tent."

"Did you find out anything when you followed them into the tent where we stored the important chests?" Wu Kai asked.

Meiling was surprised he knew about that. Indeed, that day she went into the tent because all three of the women had actually entered it, although not at the same time of course. She had thought they had hidden something in there or was planning to steal something, twas why she had entered the tent to check.

"I did enter the tent, but twas to check if they had stolen anything. Once I entered, I did not notice any signs of the chests being moved nor opened, so I quickly left as I did not want to be seem suspicious"

Meiling's statement confirmed Jinzhou Jie's report. He suspected that the one that opened the chest must have been Qinyang and the other two are just a diversion to confuse him and his men. This new information had affirmed him even more. Now there will have to be a change of plan, he shall have to travel to Bianjing as fast as he can.

"Good, before you go, I want you to let your Mistress know first thing in the morning that I've set out to Bianjing first. Please continue to protect her. I will leave two of my most elite officers, He Heng and Tai Yating here as well"

Tai Yating is one of his elite officers? Meiling thought otherwise and she's not sure if her Mistress would be happy to see him as well after he had sided with Qinyang.

Wu Kai continued, "Most of my men will still be here as well to protect and lead the caravan. However, I, Jinzhou Jie and captain Li Min will make our way straight to the border as soon as we can"

"Please excuse me, but do you mean now, Lord Wu Kai?"

Wu Kai nodded, "yes" he answered. He noticed the maid becoming still for a moment before opening her mouth to speak.

"I see, but if Milord would excuse my manner. I think the Mistress would've preferred you telling her yourself. She would not be....for lack of a better term, 'happy' if you were to leave without consulting her. Not only that, she had been through much, traveling to Liu's Manor and traveling right away again to the border. Never have I heard her complain about discomfort. If it were any other Mistresses, I'm sure they would've greatly said many things already. And if I may dare say, Milord had also done her wrong but she had not say a single thing"

Wu Kai had done his wife wrong? Confused by her slander, Wu Kai voiced his question, "I've done her wrong?"

"Yes" Meiling was resolute in her answer, "You've left your bride on your wedding day by herself. My Mistress is a strong young Miss that such things would not deter her. However, such things as that tis what undermines and devalue her in others' eyes"

"I...." Wu Kai began to speak and stopped because he had no words to say. He indeed had been very selfish dragging her along with his whims.

"I do apologize for stepping past my boundary, if Milord will excuse me" Meiling said and bowed.

Wu Kai was indeed left speechless but he smiled. Just like her master, they really do speak their minds, although he wished his wife was more outspoken like Meiling, "I shall take your advice and tell her myself, you may go".

Meiling bowed again and left.