Dec. 10, 2012 Well...that didn't go so well!

“You’re back!”  My sister-in-law smiled with more enthusiasm than totally necessary.  “You spent the night?”

“No,” I cut her off, “I mean yes, but no.”

“Explain, Sister.”  The thing about Emily – as sweet as she is, she’s ruthless when she wants something from you.  Whether it’s the dazzling smile she throws your way, or her sweet innocent pleading look, you can’t say no.  Does this woman have any negatives in that beautiful frame of hers?  I love her, but ugh!

“We rode up to Santa Barbara and were having brunch at the Four Seasons, when everything went downhill.”

Emily didn’t need to know that the ride sucked.  There was too much wind, the seat was uncomfortable, it was cold, and we didn’t say one word to each other for an hour and a half, but did I complain???  No!  I was accommodating – as accommodating as Jane Sydney Reid was ever going to be.

“And..?”

“Max’s cell phone kept ringing.  After about the fifth ring, I kinda yelled at him to pick up the phone, and guess who was calling him?”

“Who?”  Emily’s big brown eyes were bugging out.  It was cute, in a freakishly bugging sort of way.

Some GIRL!  He was so uncomfortable talking to her and he couldn’t – no, he wouldn’t tell her that he was out with me.  I was so pissed, I felt like walking out on him, but I sat through his awkward conversation to get some answers.”

While I was pining away for him the last half of the year, apparently, this jerk was dating around.

“He explained that he had ‘group-dated’ this girl, another doctor at his hospital, briefly.”  Emily’s mouth opened, but I didn’t give her a chance to start.  I had too many things to say.  “And though it bothered me, all would have been okay except…his last date with her was just ‘a few days ago’.”

Those were the jerk’s words, verbatim!  What kind of man tells one woman that he misses her and would like to try for a relationship with her one day, then goes out with a totally different woman the next day?  Am I wrong to want someone to love me and me only?  Forget love – way too soon for that concept.  I just want someone to want me and me only.  Maybe it’s an LA thing?  Perhaps I should move back to New York and work a hundred hours a week and be on track to become the youngest partner at our law firm.

“No!”  Emily was horrified, then mad.  She pulled out her cell phone and before she could call Max, I took it away from her.  “Let me call him and yell at him.  He can’t treat you like that!  Oh Jane…”  Then, she hugged me.  I think she was more hurt than I was.  No matter what I thought or said about my sister, I loved her and she genuinely loved me.  The rivalry was only on my part and solely in my head.  “So where were you all yesterday?”

“I left Max, got myself a room, then a rental car.  After calling around, I got a hold of my girlfriend, Hilary, and we hung out the whole day.  The thought of sitting in the hotel room and gorging on ice cream was tempting, but I spent a boatload of money on clothes and shoes, instead.”

“Oh, sweet Jane!  Your knight in shining armor will come around.  Max just needs to sort out his life and grow up some more.”

At this point, Max ≠ a knight in shining armor.  Well…back to the drawing board!