"Do we like the boyfriend?" I asked my tone serious.

Lexi laughed on the other side of the line. "Yes, we do like the boyfriend. He's super nice and Alex adores him."

This was nice. I loved this. Talking about mundane normal things, about our days, about simple things, laughing together.

I love how effortless it was, how natural it felt.

"Are you like super destabilized every time they kiss or something?" I asked teasingly.

Lexi snorted. "I've known about Alex for a while Blake. So not really. I mean, it was a little strange at first, just because Alex never dated anyone else but me, so whoever he would have dated... well it would have been strange. But yeah. All is good. Travis is nice. We like him," she repeated.

"Alright, we like him," I repeated too.

"But anyway, there's a point to this call. I had a specific agenda," I could feel her grin through the phone. "Are you home?"

I'd actually just parked in my driveway. "Yes I am."

"And do you think I'm allowed to come over?"

"Yes, absolutely," I answered without hesitation, even though I wasn't entirely sure it was true. "But would your father allow it?"

"Because there is no no fornication rule at your house?"

It was a good thing I was parked now. "No, because well, I don't know. Not that."

"So is there a no fornication rule at your house?" Lexi pressed, knowing she'd get a reaction out of me.

Bold Lexi liked this. And if I was honest, I loved Bold Lexi.

"Can we stop talking about fornication please?" I asked, laughing, running a hand over my face, a little discouraged too.

"Sure. As long as I can sleepover."

I rolled my eyes for my own benefit. "I'll tell my parents, but there shouldn't be any issues"

"Perfect, see you soon!" she replied and hung up, leaving no more room for debate.

I smiled at my phone, and headed inside.

I assumed my father was already asleep but this was Mom's prime writing time, so I headed to her study.

I was a little worried about asking my mom though. After all, she'd seen what being rejected by Lexi Grayson had done to me. For a protective parent only thinking about their child, it would be legitimate to assume that the awful way I'd been feeling had been partly her fault, if not entirely. It was easier to blame someone else for your son's own fuck-ups. Either way.

I was a little scared that my mom was mad at Lexi and blaming her for making me sad.

Her door was opened, but I knocked on the frame. "Hey Mom."

"Hi honey," she replied, like an automatism.

"Is it okay if Lexi sleeps over?"

She looked up from her computer, at me. She took a second too long to answer, but then she gave me a small smile. "As long as her parents are okay with it, it's fine. Don't do anything stupid though?"

"Stupid, like throwing her off the balcony?"

My mother rolled her eyes at me. "You know what I meant."

"Thank you," I just said, smiling at her.

"You're welcome."

"And it wasn't her fault you know? The whole thing," I felt the urge to add.