Character Spotlight: Alistaire

Poor Alistaire. Overlooked in not one book, but two! He might not be extremely important, but he should not be forgotten either. After all, if Faeyluna is partially taken with him, he has to be pretty impressive, right?

Ironically, Alistaire's backstory was never shared. That is a tragedy, so I fixed it. It's right here!

Alistaire came from a family of witches and warlocks. From a young age, it was obvious he walked the line of magical races, having obvious elven fey characteristics from the start. For a while, he tried to conform to being a warlock, but that meant giving up his astronomy studies, which he couldn't bring himself to do. He attended Circe's Magical Academy, taking all of his required courses with reluctance. He finally found his calling in being a consultant, giving advice to others.

After working a job involving dream consultations for a month, he quickly impressed others with his insight and calm advice. His skills were so widely praised, that Queen Ilsadora heard of his talents. She requested that he present himself to the palace, saying she needed his expertise.

Alistaire analyzed Queen Ilsadora's reoccurring dream of a haunting field of daisies. He told her the whispy ghosts she encountered could be future regrets, and she asked if he would stay at the palace for the foreseeable future. She promised he could be an advisor in other matters, not just dreams, and that he would be compensated for his trouble.

Alistaire agreed easily and quickly became close with the Queen. The King kept to himself around Alistaire, so Alistaire never learned much about him. That didn't matter. The Queen let him be himself and helped him discover aspects of his powers Circe's hadn't found.

He was an enchanter. Not an elven fey, and definitely not a warlock. He'd never been more relieved in his entire life to finally discover something he could do that he was truly good at.

He excelled with plants. He could make spring happen in the middle of fall, and create a patch of summer in the dead of winter. Queen Ilsadora especially adored the poinsettias he would continually resurrect throughout the year whenever they seemed on the verge of death.

But when Princess Isabelle was born and cursed, and Queen Ilsadora was exiled, he had a choice to make.

Would he stand by the Queen everyone had turned on? Or stay to comfort the baby Princess?

(Ilsadora and Lord Norrus^)

He chose Ilsadora. She had stood by his side, so he would stand by hers. If nothing else, Isabelle had her father to look after her.

Snow and ice were not Alistaire's strong suits, but he made them tolerable. He sanded the cracks in Ilsadora's heart, putting her together over and over again as she broke down. He resurrected her with the same patience and care he gave the poinsettias. And she survived, year after year, subsisting on vague plans of revenge and curse breaking.

The dream of daisies had come true. But Alistaire was there to kill the weeds and heal the flowers.

He promised to always stand by Ilsadora's side. And not even a goddess could change his mind. Instead, he changed hers.

Today, you can still find Alistaire by Ilsadora's side, as always, although there may be an attraction that wasn't there before...