New Kid

Gon's POV:

"Gon! Gon! Wake up!" I'm shaking. Well, someone's shaking me to be more accurate. "Ging called."

"What?" I sit straight up like a board. Nothing gets me up faster than news about Ging. He's a crappy dad, sure, but he's more like that one uncle, and I prefer to think of him as such. He's really fun to hang around, and whenever he comes back he always takes me on a cool adventure. Sometimes even off-island! "Ging called? What'd he say?"

"I'm sorry Gon, I know you were really looking forward to his visit, but he said that something popped up last-minute, and it couldn't wait two weeks. He had to postpone for a while." Aunt Mito says with sadness in her tone. We were all excited for Ging.

"How long?" I ask.

"A week at best." I scrunch my nose at that. A whole other week! Damn it Ging! What's it this time? All well, I'll ask later.

"I better get to school." I say, and jump out of bed.

"What's at school that's got you all excited?" Aunt Mito inquires.

"Well, that faster I get to school, the faster school will be over, the faster tomorrow will get here, then so on until next week!" I grin at Aunt Mito and rub my neck. She just giggles.

"Well, in that case, you better hurry then!" I nod and dress in my usual green before running downstairs and wolfing down my food.

"Don't eat so fast, Gon, you'll choke!" A wise voice warns accompanied by heavy footsteps from the hall.

I take a big swallow. "Don't worry grandma Abe, I'm fine! I won't choke, promise!" I give her a big genuine smile and she gives me a smaller one in return. I take another, more normal-sized bite. "What are you doing up this early, anyway?"

"Oh, it's a nice day, why can't an old women get up in the morning?"

"Ging's not coming today, grandma." Aunt Mito says, walking in from the laundry room.

"Drat." Is all she says and I giggle at her. Aunt Mito joins. "Well, it's too early to be up anyway, I'm going back to bed."

Me and Aunt Mito somehow manage to suppress our laughter until she's in her room. Then we let it out, and Aunt Mito's got tears in her eyes, but it's not even all that funny. I smile and finish my breakfast, before Aunt Mito wishes me a good day and I leave.

I'm skipping down the hill, and I'm about halfway down when I remember what Retz said yesterday. That's right, Killua's gonna be here. I wonder what he's like.

This mysterious Killua consumes my thoughts all the way to school. Again, I walk under the beautiful cherry blossoms to find my huddle of friends by the school. When I run up to join them, they're theorizing about Killua's parental situation again. I stay quiet and nod along, and the walk to the building isn't quiet long enough for them to notice that I was a little quieter than usual. But by lunch they'll be asking about it, or Kurapika will at least.

Walking through the cherry blossom trees, someone unfamiliar catches my eye and Oh. My. God. He's so quiet, like a shadow, but bright as the moon. None of the kids talking even really notice him, they just walk right by. That's not the reason for the oh my god. The reason is is that this guy, this guy who looks about my age, is the absolute, most beautiful boy - no, person, I've ever seen in my entire life.

Messy, fluffy, white hair that has a small shimmer if you look close enough. Eyes as blue and deep as the oceans themselves. The smoothest and palest skin I've ever seen. Combined with the cherry blossom background . . . I could cry. God, he's gorgeous. The only thing that's weird are his clothes. He's wears a dark navy turtle neck and grey sweatpants that somehow don't look like sleepwear. But those clothes? In this weather? He must be burning up! It's only about 70 degrees, but those are some dark clothes, and it'll get hotter during the day, like, maybe up to 76? I could never do that, in fact, anyone smart enough wouldn't.