3͓2͢

The air is thick as always, this corner of the city darker than what I'm used to. Shadows hide long stretches of the street and only a handful of cars pass by, but I can sense people hiding out of sight. The scuffles of boots—or rats—skitter as we walk down an alleyway. Alone I would feel isolated, but with Levi a calm quiet hangs in the air.

The deli owner's words repeat in my head. Queen. That would make Levi a king, and truly, I can see him as no less. A man of power, of humility, of knowledge. Everything that's cherished in royalty, but rarely found.

Our time together doesn't come with an expatriation date anymore, and I hope he'll let me learn more from him, about his nature and about mine. I can train to harness whatever power has been dormant inside me, fulfill a purpose I've searched so long for, and earn my place by his side.

His desires have become as important to me as my own, but I still don't know what they are. Though he's talked about his past, and his present seems only a recycled version of that, I'm not sure what he wants for his future. Or what part I could have in it.

I know he'd never hold me back from my wishes, and his support in my quest to take down Lucien still leaves me in awe. With him, I feel like I might be able to actually make a difference.

Once we've walked a ways into the darkness, Levi slows and pulls me into him. I return the embrace, breathing easy for the first time today.

"It'll be faster if I take over from here," he murmurs. "I should have asked before, is there a way you prefer to travel with me?"

Now that I think about it, all the times he's carried me have been different. I bite my lip, guilty I've been a literal weight on him so often. Especially in the past 24 hours.

"Necromancers don't have any special speed powers?" I question into the collar of his jacket. "I don't like treating you like a form of transportation to ride on whenever I need."

He laughs, the sound erupting into a thousand butterflies in my chest. "Actually, that's exactly what I am, in that context." He tips my head up, the corner of his eyes crinkled with a knowing smile. "There will be time to learn more, but know you can ride me whenever you want."

A burn flares over my skin. He used my own words, but they couldn't be more suggestive. Suddenly I'm not sure about surviving the trip, much less the night.

Flustered, I shift on my feet and look away.

"Do you prefer to be on my back?" he asks, bringing me back to the original question.

Immaturely I shake my head, refusing to offer a proper answer, because I can't think of one. How do I explain that I like to be cradled, to feel our hearts close and chests pressed together, to have my legs wrapped around his waist and feel him move against me? Should I be as forward to say I want his arms pulling me closer, to be as connected as possible?

To know if I turn him on, in the same way he does to me?

He sighs, rubbing my back. "For me you are as light as a piece of paper, so whatever you're thinking just say it. I don't want to stand here forever." One of his fingers trails down my arm, along my injury. "But please remember to keep this safe."

Then an idea crosses my mind. An easy way to tell him without fumbling over words. I snake my arms around his shoulders and bring my lips to his, savoring the taste as he leaves them soft and pliable.

This time I take the lead, and he holds me close as if he's the one breaking. As if my touch can crumble him, despite all the strength and willpower at his disposal.

On a more adventurous whim, I glide my tongue along the seam of his lips and he opens, greeting me with a hint of warmth I haven't felt on his skin before. If I thought kissing him was addictive before, I'm a junkie now. I pull his lip between my teeth, loving every caress and the heat of his tongue, how my entire body tunes into his.