Nightmares and Letters.

Start from the beginning

I should take more care of myself, I know. But it seems like such a daunting task, because I'm a complete mess as it is. Any success I manage to maintain is all because of Peeta. I owe him everything.
I start to walk towards the bedroom but I find it empty. I quickly change into clothes I find in my dresser and throw my towel into a laundry basket on the floor. I quietly walk down the stairs and I see Peeta walk out of his art room. In his hand he has a small bag.

"What's that?" I ask softly while approaching him. He opens the bag to reveal a book, but it isn't a regular book. It's one of the books that my father and I used to write in about plants. He hands me the book and I hold it gently in my hands.
"I was thinking that maybe you could write stuff in here about your family or friends that," he pauses carefully, "aren't here anymore." I flip through the pages and nod my head slightly. "But if you don't want to you don't have to. It was just a thought."
"Thank you." I look into his eyes and I lean into his lips. It's the first time I've kissed him in a while. I'm still trying to figure out where him and I stand. I know he's always going to be here for me, and it really does seem like he wants to be with me. But I'm a mess. I don't want to confine him to a life of misery.

I pull away after a short while and I look back down to my book. "Could we go on a walk?" I watch as he nods his head and I smile softly. He doesn't know how much I appreciate him, and he never will.
_

As we near the entrance of the hob, I grab Peeta's hand. His eyes dart towards mine but I give a reassuring look. 
"I don't want to be on the cover of every channel again." I huff quietly.
"Pull the hood of your coat over your head. They won't have good content if they can't see our faces." I nod as I use my other hand to pull my hood over my hair. Part of my face is showing, but it's only slightly noticeable.

We enter the hob and nobody seems to notice us. We walk past all of the tables with a bunch of different things. One pair of earrings catch my eye. They're pink flowers with gold rims on them.
"Can we get these for Effie as a welcome home gift?" I ask quietly. She called me a few days ago announcing that she'd be making a short trip to 12 before her fashion line drops.
"You don't have to ask me." He remarks while handing the vendor money. We are almost to the exit when somebody accidentally walks straight into me. I feel my hood begin to fall down, revealing my hair and face. Everyone gasps, which I think is dramatic, and I hear cameras snapping pictures. I look over to Peeta anxiously and he calmly pulls my hood back up. I turn my head slightly to spot the person that ran into me.

I thought that maybe it was an accident, and that maybe someone just hadn't looked where they were going. When in reality, it's the complete opposite. The person that ran into me was Gale. And knowing him, this was no accident.

I begin to hold Peeta's hand tighter as the cameras begin to follow us towards the victors village. I occasionally look back to spot flashing lights everywhere. As soon as we reach the gate, the cameras begin to slowly fade away. I suppose they aren't allowed to film us inside of the privacy of our homes.

"Do you think he did that on purpose?" I ask Peeta as we walk towards the door. He shakes his head while using a key to unlock the front door.
"I don't think he'd do that to you, Katniss. After all, you were best friends at one point." I look at him with slight confusion. I know he's able to find good in everyone. He's even able to find it in me. But I think he may be wrong this time. I know Gale, and he'd do anything to get what he wants.

As we enter the house, I can hear the phone ringing. It's Effie. She lets us know that her train got delayed and won't be arriving till tomorrow.
"I'm sorry, Effie. I guess we'll have to manage for one more day. We all miss you very much though." Peeta says into the phone. I make a face at him and he turns away from me chuckling. I hear him start to explain to Effie that he's not laughing at her and I walk away for a moment. I stumble to the couch and sit down in the corner. I turn the tv on and begin to watch our recent sightings when Peeta walks in.

"You just got me in trouble." He says while sitting beside me. I shrug my shoulders innocently and he tries to refrain from laughing. I smile as I turn towards the tv and begin to hear Caesar talk about us. He enters the tv by saying: "The star crossed lovers have made a comeback! They have been spotted holding hands and shopping today. Tune in for more details!"
"They act like it's such a big deal." Peeta starts while rolling his eyes. I nod my head in agreement and eventually the channel begins to report on the other victor's lives.

I remember the reaping for the quell. There was so much fear instilled in everyone. Nobody wanted to relive the horror for a second time. I recall Finnick's reaping, and how he showed no mercy. He didn't care about any of the others lives, he just wanted to be with Annie. And yet, after everything we've been through, it still wasn't enough. Him and thousands of innocent people were murdered. I take full responsibility, and I always will.

I'm brought out of my thoughts by the ring of Peeta's voice. I don't catch what he says before he hands me a thin piece of paper. I look at it puzzled until I read the label.
It's a letter from Annie.

(Authors note: I will be speeding up some of the things that take place, just for it to make sense. Thank you!! :) )