One

For those who breathe at night, the Moon reflects the Sun

20 years before Wano Arc

.
.
.

Why does it always end up this way?

You keep walking, one step after another, trying to keep the noise of your chains out of your mind and thoughts.

Your wings are tied strictly against your torso, making it hard to breathe.

A black cloak hides your figure and face as you follow the Emperor through the corridors of Onigashima, trying to keep up with his pace.

When the tall man stops opposite a dark, black door, you recede and pull the shackle until the chains creak from your effort.

Kaido groans annoyedly and drags you forward with greater force.

You lose your balance and fall to the ground, your knees and forehead bruising against the wooden floor.

You glare at its pattern with indifference that tries to protect you from your fear.

"King, I brought you something," shouts the pirate.

King.

He waits for a few minutes patiently and steps on your back when you try to stand up.

Your lungs stop working, and you only pray for your ribs not to snap from the pressure.

You freeze when the door opens, and a silhouette appears, wearing dark clothes that cover his whole body. Every inch of skin.

"Kaido-san," he says, and you shiver from the deep, secure voice. "So you survived the fall from the sky island."

"I start to run out of ideas," laughs the other. "Looks like I gotta wait until someone strong enough comes to defeat me."

"I don't believe that's possible," answers King, looking at you for a moment. It was only a glance, disappointment gleaming in those bright eyes. Your fist clenches. "I don't keep slaves."

"You might find this one interesting," answers Kaido, taking his foot from your back. You gasp for air as the pain disappears from your chest. "She crossed my way back here."

King tilts his head and crouches down. You thrill as he touches and lifts your face, his grip too tight and rough.

His eyes are bright red, and your heart beats faster as they widen when he sees your features.

His thumb runs over your cheek, the coarse leather almost scratching your skin.

"Thank you," he says. "I'll keep her."

You free your face and struggle yourself up to your knees.

The hood falls from your head, and you spit him in the face. King flinches with anger and stands up, taking the chains.

"Then she's yours. If you don't need her anymore, bring her to the Prisoner Mine or kill her off," shrugs Kaido. "I'll go get something to drink."

You clench your fists to hide the shaking of your hands. You try to resist when King pulls the chains, but you don't even have a fraction of his strength.

The pirate groans in irritation from your effort and almost shoves you into his room.

You hear the sharp clink of the door's lock behind your back.

Your heart beats fast, and you crawl as far from him as possible. The ceiling height is almost unbelievable, with open space in every direction.

Large books fall in order over the endless shelves that bend and run up in a subtle spiral across the walls, beginning only at ten meters from the ground.