Chapter. 19

Ayla

I brushed the small girls hair back before tightly securing it with a ponytail. I knew well enough it couldn't come out while she was on stage.

"I'm nervous." She whispered.

Matteo placed down the brochure and leaned foreword on the chair that sat in front of her. His elbows resting on his knees.

"Don't be scared, bambolina." He rubbed his thumb against her cheek.

"What if I forget?"

"I've seen you dance a million times, you're amazing." He consoled the little girl. I placed the last pin in her bun before getting around to start on her makeup.

Matteo grabbed her small waist and sat her on his knee. I sat in her chair and tilted her face upwards.

"Ayla and I will be out there cheering you on, you have nothing to worry about, okay?"

Matteo gave me a concerning look before I leaned back.

"Stella, you're so beautiful and I can't even imagine how great of a dancer you are. You have nothing to worry about, babe. How about this, when we're done we can go out and get burgers, you like burgers?" I asked, rubbing her small hands.

She nodded.

"I like cheeseburgers." She whispered.

"I do to, with French fries?"

She bit her lip while nodding.

"So you're gonna let me finish your makeup so you can go out there an blow everyone away, okay?"

She nodded, pushing herself off of her uncles knee and wrapping her arms around my neck. I smiled wrapping my arms around her waist.

"Don't let anyone tell you different, okay?" I felt her nod before letting her go.

"Come on, let's finish your makeup."I grabbed the eyeliner before glancing up at Matteo. He stared forward at me, as if his eyes were locked in me.

I licked my lips before focussing on Stella.

-

We made our way to the audience and sat down.

"What's your deal?" He asked.

"Pardon?" I retorted.

"How're you so good with her?" He asked, his eyes on the empty stage.

"I have.. somewhat of an idea of what little kids like." I spoke to his cheek.

There was a silence that I felt like I needed to fill.

"When my dad would.. get mad at my mom she would take me to get burgers. Even if she was tired, or had no money she always took me." This time I was the one staring forward. I could basically feel his harsh gaze on my skin.

"That hers?" He asked.

"What?" I asked, turning to face him.

𝘐𝘯 𝘈𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘓𝘪𝘧𝘦जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें