Their actions only seem to anger Zarius. Despite breaking out in a cold sweat, he summons the water from the seas to do his bidding. I watch in astonishment as he stands slowly; the waves rising behind him in unison. Soaring higher and higher than any buildings in the vicinity. Like a powerful tsunami.

If he unleashes that upon us, we're all going to die.

Suddenly, I'm forced on my knees with my arms pin painfully behind my back. A gun touches my temple and I freeze. A man's voice rings out threateningly.

"Stop your powers, creature. Or we'll blow a bullet through her skull in the next few seconds."

Seeing how I'm caught by them, Zarius stiffens, but a dangerous fury ignites his eyes. His fists clench and unclench; a clear sign that he's about to explode. "Release her."

Nobody makes a move, just both sides waiting for the other to concede. But as time passes, I can tell that Zarius is slowly weakening because of the unknown serum running through his veins.

"Zarius, look at me." His eyes snap back to me instantly. If they catch him, I can't imagine what else they would do to him.

"Forget about me and just go," I beg. "Please."

Zarius's face torments in pain, but hardens when the same soldier who has his gun pointed at me digs the cold barrel deeper into my forehead. He must be their squad leader.

"Don't make me repeat my words, merman," he warns menacingly. "Call off your powers or this girl dies."

Chest heaving, Zarius withdraws his powers and releases the water back to earth. Shortly afterwards, he topples forward to the ground and lies there. Motionless.

Around me, everybody gets busy and surrounds him. A voice speaks into a communication device that they've been wearing in their ears. "Target is down. Bring in the Black Bird."

"No!" I exclaim, attempting to break free from my captors. "What did you do to him? Leave him alone!"

The unsympathetic man smiles coldly, flashing his full set of teeth. "Tranquiliser. It takes time for it to take effect, and you were a perfect distraction."

Military helicopters fly above us. As I watch them lower a claw equipment that's suspended by wires to pick up Zarius's body, I turn and glare at the soldiers. "What are you going to do to him?"

"Big things, girl. This creature is going to help us stop the world from ending."

"How?"

"That is not something you need to know."

When most of the soldiers have boarded the helicopter, the arms on me release immediately. They shove me roughly, and my face hits the sand with a loud thud. When I finally get a hold of myself, their footsteps have already retreated into the distance.

They're leaving me behind.

I can't lose Zarius. I can't let them take him away from me like this.

"No!" I pick myself up and break into a full sprint, chasing after the helicopters that are taking off. As the giant claw that's carrying Zarius's body lifts from the ground, I make a hasty decision to jump onto it. The wind whips at me maliciously, but I cling onto one of the metal fingers. I try to find a good footing through the gaps, but my shoes just keep sliding off.

We're traveling in mid-air. Seeing the vast cloudy-blue ocean below me intensifies my fear.

This is truly the point of no return.

"Zarius!" I cry out his name several times, trying to wake him up. "Please! Get up!"

This doesn't earn a response from him; not even a slightest arm or leg movement. Soon, my voice goes hoarse from screaming his name repeatedly. My frustration builds until I'm breaking out in tears, hoping that he can somehow hear me. Hoping for a miracle to happen.

But it doesn't.

A gunshot rings through the air. Pain explodes in my left arm and the strength in my hands disappears. I feel myself slipping off the edge and plunging into the ocean below me, losing sight of my mate.

I'm falling to my death.

A/N: I'm giving out free hugs to those who needs them

A/N: I'm giving out free hugs to those who needs them. 🫂