Chapter 33

Toby and I wake up late the next morning. We don't have time to lounge around and grab a cup of coffee like we had planned before I have to drop him off at the airport.

We change clothes in a hurry. I have a pounding migraine and it builds as I grab my duffle and race out of the dorm.

"Are you going to be okay?" Toby asks, massaging the back of my neck.

It feels so fucking good, and honestly, despite the headache, I'm getting a little turned on.

"I'll be fine."

We exit the dorm and head to the parking lot and find Shelby waiting by Toby's car. Since he didn't want to drive to Austin, and I'm going to be in Plainsburg, he's letting Shelby borrow his car until we return.

"I've been calling you two." She smiles and wags her eyebrows. "What were you guys doing?"

I roll my eyes at her. "Don't be gross."

"Yeah, Shelby. I'm a gentleman, I won't debauch Jesse until our second date."

I roll my eyes again. "I hate you both."

They laugh at my annoyance. It's way too early for them and their jokes, so I head to my car and warm it up while Toby hands his keys off to Shelby.

Shelby follows Toby to my car and continuously knocks on my window until I roll it down. I huff and give in to her. Shelby is one of those people that will keep pestering until she gets her way. The faster I give in to her, the sooner I can leave.

"I'm gonna miss you guys. Text me or I will hunt your ass down."

"Shelbs, you won't even let us go an hour without texting you. How could we go two weeks without your duplicate texts?"

She smiles as if she's very proud of herself. "I have to make sure you all don't forget I exist."

"Trust me, Shelbs," Toby leans over me to say. He smells like his body wash, and I really wish we could stay in our dorm for the two week break and only go out for coffee and food, "you're pretty unforgettable."

"This is why you're my favorite." She pats the roof of my car. "Have a safe trip, boys. No pit stops on the way to the airport." She wags her eyebrows again.

"I'm rolling up my window now. Goodbye, Shelby."

We spend the ride to Philly in semi-silence. The sun is still rising, so it's definitely way too early for either of us to function properly.

At a stop light, I pinch the bridge of my nose and squeeze my eyes shut because my head is still pounding. Toby gently rubs my right temple.

"Oh, here." He passes me the bottle of painkillers we keep in the bathroom. "I figured you would need them."

"You're a lifesaver." I take two and swallow them dry since we don't have any drinks.

Toby chuckles at me, and rests his hand on the back of my neck, kneading it slowly. "I'm going to miss you, Jay."

"Me too. Promise me you'll call when you land."

"Duh," is all he says.

The airport comes into view, and I sigh heavily. Toby's grip on the back of my neck tightens slightly.

"My stepmom is going to be stoked when I tell her that you and I got together. She loves you."

I smile. Over the last few months, I have chatted with Toby's family a bit whenever they video called Toby. They were all so loving, reminding me of my own family. His family had loved me so much, last time Toby went home his stepmom had sent back a tin of cookies specifically labeled: