Bloody Narratives

Bloody Narratives

Published on March 30, 2015

Youtube Video Transcript:

Adree here! I was pretty amused by Dallas's Shitty Narratives vlog, so I want to continue in the same vein. I think we need to post our own bloody narratives. (See why I used the word "vein"? HA HA.)

But I don't want you posting about embarrassing moments. When I was researching how we're made to be ashamed of our periods, something I read was how those sections of magazines devoted to girls sharing their embarrassing stories actually contribute to the idea that our periods are dirty and embarrassing. Many of those stories are followed by advertisements for sanitary products like scented tampons with noiseless wrappers. Why do our periods have to be such a topic of embarrassment?

So I want you guys to post about moments you've had with your periods, and how you might act now if you could relive those moments, now that you are hopefully less ashamed of your periods.

I'll tell you mine, right now: once I was at a dance competition, and we were doing this lyrical number in these white costumes. Someone whispered in my ear that I had bled through my costume, and I ran off the stage. Now, in dance, there's a saying: "The show must go on." If something happens, you keep going. Usually, I did this. Once, my halter top came untied, and so I did the entire dance with my left arm holding the strings together around my neck. Another time, the guy I was partnering with had to go offstage to puke, so I improvised a solo instead. So why did a bit of period blood force me offstage?

If I could go back to that moment, my reaction would be much different: I would keep on dancing. And if anyone said anything to me, I would tell them: blood happens. It's normal. Get over it.

* * *

Adree's "Bloody Narratives" inspired as much sharing  as my "Shitty Narratives" one had:

Clara Q. @Quinn_C

Once when I knew I was close to bleeding through I left an important test. Next time I'll bleed through for a better grade #BloodyNarratives

Alexa @PoniesRPretty

After losing my wallet and ruining my only swimsuit I spent the rest of my beach vacation in the hotel room. Next time I dgaf! #BloodyNarratives

Valerie Devant @VVDevant

Once my bf saw blood on my sheets&I told him it was from a cut on my knee. @ChadAnderson_CrystalShore it was from my period#BloodyNarratives

Chad Anderson @ChadAnderson_CrystalShore

@VVDevant I knew it! You didn't even have a cut on your knee!

Dallas Delaney @DallasDelaney

Forgot to bring tampons to the resort when I went snowboarding w/ @deathblackthrash6666 & @BennnnnnnnnyB so I stayed in the restaurant (1/2)

Dallas Delaney @DallasDelaney

with a heap of paper towels in my underwear. Don't know why since snow pants r waterproof + perfect for freebleeding (2/2) #BloodyNarratives

Bada$$ Benny @BennnnnnnnnyB

Once @DallasDelaney made me buy tampons for her and I almost died. Next time I won't be as embarrassed #BloodyNarratives

Sydney Reicher @SydRBaby

@BennnnnnnnnyB That's sweet XD

On Thursday I called Adree a "copycat" and she actually meowed at me. She could be really weird sometimes, but her weird was better than my ridiculous. "You must still be pretty pissed about those guys who made comments about your PMS, huh?" I asked her.

"Actually, no. Those guys don't matter anymore. What matters is that we girls are actually talking about our periods like they're normal things!" She grabbed Valerie, who had walked over to us, and hugged her from one side, then beckoned me over, where she hugged me from the other side.

Sharkbite looked at the three of us quizzically, like he was trying to figure us out, before saying, "Here they are! The poop girl, the period girl, and the philanthropist!"

"I see three strong young women," said Ms. Brooks, who had eavesdropped from behind. The three of us posed in the spotlight, and Alex and Benny started applauding us, with a few more of our peers joining in. Hooray for celebdom.

I was feeling good about our vlogs, but then I started getting some tweets:

Haley Icarsus @dontflytooclose2theSUN

Can we get back to the heavier, meatier stuff? No pun intended. This week has been fun, but we need more critical thinking.

Jade A. @JadeAnderson

Agreed. These narratives got old fast.

I didn't disagree: I wanted to offer the Internet more than just humor on my next vlog.