Chapter I : New Dawn

3rd Moon

25th Phase

2018

6:45 am

It was a cold summer afternoon when my story began. Concluding my four-year studies in criminal investigation at the University of Kingstone, I was extended an invitation to undergo my first year on the field as an intern. My destination, Edinburgh, is the heart of the nearby country of Bogshire, where the company I have been assigned to work at is located. It is with that in mind that I have been riding for some time on the train, where my intention is to settle in on my private quarters and prepare myself for my first day starting tomorrow.

My name is Jennifer Hawkins. I am from Charlestown, Victoria and I am currently twenty-three years old. Surely, you might ask why, of all things, did I decide to go with this career? Ever since I can remember, I have always had a fascination with criminal investigations. Between my interest in the world of criminology and the zeal that Father once showed, you could say that it was inevitable I would end with this path I have chosen.

A few years ago, I had finished my general studies at the academy. And, as with every person of my age, it was my time to decide on my career choice in the last year. Knowing full well what I wanted to do with my life, I decided to let Mother know post haste. She was a bit apprehensive at first, as all parents usually are, but her blessings were given and I started to draw course towards my goal.

"Are you sure you are not interested in a career in writing?" asked my mother, recalling what I had told her before dinner.

"With how wild your imagination and creativity are, surely any press would publish the works you have done! Your full-fledged stories would do wonders for young children."

"Mother, I feel like you do not understand the difference between a hobby and a career," I said jokingly. "I do enjoy writing, but I lack the joy of making a career out of it. You know I always wanted to become an inspector like Father. His stories and adventures have always been of interest to me, and there has never been a more joyful time than when I stayed up late at night with him, sharing his tales with me. "

"I suppose so," she said hesitantly. "I just think you should focus on what you are naturally good at instead of deviating into uncharted territories. The real world is vastly different from a simple story, after all. Do pass me the dishes on the table, love, thank you."

Mother has always been protective of me. Being her only child would make sense why walls have been built around me since I can remember. And if you add the experience of loss with Father, well, it is a mix that any parent would grow anxious about the safety of their child, especially if the child in question is having the thought of going to a career filled with danger. I understand her, I truly do, but I had just turned seventeen, and I wanted to earn the sweat of my own brow doing the things that I have always dreamed of, not something I have no interest in making a profession out of.

Day after day I would ask her, and it was always met with a resounding no.

Finally, on a wistful night, I asked her again. She was growing frustrated as I kept bringing the same subject.

"When are you going to drop this? Why can you not see the bigger picture? Must I keep repeating myself?"

"But Mother please!" I begged.