Chapter 37: truth

Start from the beginning

He shoots me a small but obviously forced smile. "Thank you."

I walk out of the room and back to mine, running my hands through my hair. I want to help him, I want to be here for him even if that means being physically away from him at night. I lay back down in my bed, leaving his spot on the left side of the bed open as I always have.

The next morning after getting Riley to go grab a human, I make my way to the kitchen- unfortunately passing Jacob on the way. The two of us sharing scowls on our faces as we greet each other with a curt nod. When I enter, Morgan is already there looking through my fridge. Perfect I don't have to drag her out of her room. "Hungry?"

She jumps, closing the fridge but not saying anything to me. Riley enters behind me holding the human I made to remain calm and silent. Morgan's growing annoyance deflates the second she looks over at Riley bringing in a human . "Here." I grab onto the human holding him out to her. "Breakfast."

She looks at me with disgust. "No."

"Are you going to fight me on this every fucking time?" I ask. Without a response she crosses her arms and hardens her glare at me. "You're a child."

"And you're a bitch." She glowers.

"I'm trying to help you."

"Keep saying it and maybe eventually you'll convince yourself."

My heart twists in my chest. I quickly recover hoping none of the waves of guilt crashing against me were visible to her. "Just feed." I shove the man closer to her. Her eyes naturally focus on the neck. "Stop fighting it. You want it so have it."

"I don't."

"You're an awful liar. You're going to have to cooperate with me otherwise you'll have to deal with Lucien. You think I'm bad? You have no idea."

"Fuck you."

"Fuck you." I say right back. "I don't know how many times I have to say this but you're a vampire Morgan. For fuck's sake feed like you want to. It's painfully obvious that you do." I roll my eyes.

"I don't want to kill him." Her eyes dart between me and the man. "I don't want to kill anyone."

"Killing is apart of being what we are." It is a truth although I'd hugely prefer to not be the one to teach her that but it's either me or Lucien. "You want to kill. Listen to that thought and just do it."

"No. It's like an intrusive thought. You don't listen to those."

I scoff. "Its not an intrusive thought. Thinking: feed on that human isn't taboo if you're a vampire, it's literally your default thought processes."

"It goes against my morals and it horrifies me." She asserts.

"Is it really an intrusive thought if it's something you actually want to do?"

Her stare falters. She rolls her shoulders back with her arms still crossed. "I'm not killing him."

I take a step closer. "Lucien's lap dog is walking around here reporting back everything you and I do or don't do." I whisper through clenched teeth. "Every time you fight me like this you're giving Lucien ammo to take you away. So kill him."

She just stares at me. "No."

Rolling my eyes I grab the man and bite his throat to create a wound knowing the scent of blood will be enough to lower her walls. I shove him into Morgan. She grabs him to stop him from falling. Her eyes naturally fixate to the blood slowly flowing out of the neck wound. Her eyes shift colors, she inhales sharply and I catch a glimpse of the triple fangs in her mouth. She'll give in but she's fighting her every instinct so hard. Finally she latches onto his throat and feeds.