intervention, improvement and...farkle's funny photo

Start from the beginning

"i'm so tired." her speech sounded slurred somewhat.

"i know, mija. i'm sorry, this won't last very long." rosa smiled apologetically, "ready?"

paige shook her head- she did not want to take this walk. "how 'bout we go to the grocery store on the way to get your favourite ice cream? how's that sound?"

"yes, please." paige smiled, just ever so slightly. rosa was so, so relieved. it seemed genuine- more genuine than what she'd seen in those weeks.

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ .

"i still can't believe you broke up with paige."

"i regret it!" maya snapped, "she clearly needed help and i just left because i reacted instead of responding. i made it sound as if it was all her fault."

"give her some time to work on herself and let nature take its own course."

"fuck, fuck, fuck. why did i have to speak without thinking it through?"

"maya, did you hear what i said?"

"yes, riles. i also told her to not look for me unless she was getting better. so i guess, until then i should just deal with the consequences of my own actions."

"from what i've heard she's not coming to school for awhile to work on getting better."

"good, good for her." maya nodded.

"and maybe its time for you to go back to school. it's been two days, i'm gonna run out of excuses for you."

"yeah, yeah...i'm going back tomorrow." maya sighs defeatedly.

"good. let's get your homework done now."

maya whined, "what?"

"you can't be falling behind."

"right."

"maya, seriously."riley glares at the blonde.

"okay, pushy." maya threw her hands up in mock surrender, "i was just kidding."

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ .

that evening, farkle came by with takeout. "farkle!" paige gasped when she saw him through the peephole. "why are you here?"

"just wanted to hang out with you." farkle answered, "may i come in?"

"yeah, of course- come in."

"how are you?"

"better. i feel different, but in a good way? i think the meds are beginning to take effect. it's been over two weeks now."

farkle nodded, "i'm glad to hear that."

"how've you been?"

"pretty good. school's getting boring without one of my best friends."

"school's boring, for you?"

"hey!" farkle feigned being offended, "i love spending time with you!" they ended up bursting into a fit of laughter. "but seriously, i'm so happy you're doing better." farkle told her, "can i give you a hug?"

paige nodded, accepting her friend's hug. "thank you."

"why?"

"for being here for me." paige explains, "i get that i hurt all of you. i was wrong to do that- you guys don't deserve that."

"neither do you."

"we don't care about what you said...because we know that's not you. you were going through a lot, feeling a lot. you said it, it did happen. but its history now- we pick ourselves back up, reflect and then choose the best step forward."

"damn." paige glances at the boy, eyes glistening with tears as a single tear drips down her cheek.

"i miss you guys." paige wipes the tear away, "i'm actually grateful that maya and i aren't together anymore. so i can focus on getting better."

"well..."

"you know she doesn't joke."

"she does, but my point is...you might be right, but you also not be. life works in mysterious ways."

"shouldn't you be with smackle?"

"she's hanging out with akela and maya."

"riley?"

"appointment. we're all doing okay, but...between the two of us, maya really regrets what she said."

"i needed it." paige said to him, "i'm starting to feel a little better, and believe me...i am going to work on myself till it gets better and better."

"i believe in you."

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ .

"paige is doing well." smackle told the two girls, "she just tweeted something."

"i'm glad she is." maya smiled, "she got help...i did too. and that was the best decision i've ever made- finally deciding to deal with all of my issues instead of simply disregarding them."

"hey, farkle

"hey, farkle. could you tutor me on those topics i've missed out on?"

"sure, but right now?"

"no," paige chuckles, "but soon. i'd hate to go through junior year all over again while my friends are all seniors."

"i got you. whenever you're ready, i'm there."

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ .

UNEDITED. published: friday, 29 july 2022