maya meets the final box

a day has passed since maya and paige's last interaction. paige was right next door at her own apartment now, her bedroom door locked because she didn't want to talk to anyone. especially her mom. she didn't need anyone yelling at her right now.

ding! she quickly grabs her phone, hoping it was maya. but...

read

read. 1 minute later, 2 minutes later...still left on read. almost five minutes have gone by but she didn't get a reply. so, she locks her phone and tosses it aside, frustrated. but her phone starts to ring once it hits the bed. groaning, she reaches for it once again— riley.

"yes, riley."

"i'm with maya now. talk to her."

"what?" she asks as she hears a bunch of noises in the background, maya screaming at riley saying she doesn't want to talk. her heart sinks.

"i'm not talking!" she hears before the dial tone was heard.

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ .

"maya! why would you do that?!" riley gasped.

"because!" maya yelled back, "i don't want to talk."

"why? why don't you want to talk about it with her? what did she do?" riley was upset, raising her voice at her best friend while being angry wasn't something she remembered herself ever doing.

"oh, so you're yelling at me?"

"you guys were fine last night! what could've happened? she wants to talk things out with you, maya!"

"what didn't happen, riley?" maya scoffs, "anything bad and impossible's already happened!"

"the gun was empty. we're alright."

"what if it wasn't?" maya's voice trembled as she licked her lips.

"what?"

"i woke up this morning because i had a nightmare that was a replay of last night. i haven't been able to get it out of my head. riley- a gun was aimed, at me. but paige she stood in front of me to protect me. what if he actually fired the gun? and it wasn't empty?"

"if the situation was flipped, what would you do?"

"of course i would do the s-" maya replies instantly, "oh."

"she wants to protect you. just like you would do so for her." riley smiled, "we can't change what's already happened."

"yeah, no kidding." she spoke monotonously, "i can't do this."