maya meets woody & lola

'we've had a pretty great few days. but like i have always said- hope is for suckers. we can't hope for the best everyday, so i only hope for one thing. that one thing now? that me and nola can stick together through thick and thin. because i know that being openly gay isn't going to be easy. there'll be looks, there'll be names called, there'll be a lot of unkind words said.'

my alarm clock had just went off. turning it off, i sleepily got out of bed to get washed up and changed- black t-shirt and black skinny jeans with a red flannel. i wore my heeled boots too.

"good morning." shawn and katy said together.

"morning." maya gave them a sleepy smile, covering a yawn with her hand as she sits down at the dining table.

"paige joining us this morning?" katy asks as she sets the table.

"yeah. riiight about now." momentarily, someone knocks on the front door. "come on in, paige!" shawn exclaimed.

"good morning."

"morning, hun." katy gives her a smile.

"hi, paige." shawn greets her too.

maya was trying her absolute hardest to fight the urge to grab ahold of paige's hand. katy didn't know yet, and shawn? he might have been getting suspicious.

"remember the tupperware for your history project."

"tupperware and history project?" shawn found it hilarious, "matthews' class?"

"yep." maya laughed, "mixed home ec right in there. you got the file for the report, b-" maya wanted to slap herself- she almost called paige 'babe' in front of her parents. she awkwardly clears her throat, "the folder?"

"yeah, it's in my bag."

"cool, cool. good, that's- great."

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ .

"you're not cold?" maya took a look at what paige was wearing. "no." paige replied quickly. "how are you not cold? it's winter and you're in a freaking t-shirt." maya was baffled, to say the least. "i'm really not." paige assured. "okay, i'll stop messing with you." maya snakes an arm around her waist without thinking. paige swears she froze for a second, but lets it happen anyway. "you didn't tell them yet?" paige asks quietly as she looked around. "no." maya shakes her head, "i don't really know how to go about it- even with riley and most of the gang, it only happened because something else forced it, y'know?"

"i haven't told my mom either." paige glances at the blonde, "my mom would hate that. like even my name? when i told her i didn't want to go by my first name anymore, she didn't listen. she continued calling me that for almost six months. it took an argument for it to stick."

"i'm sorry. that sucks." maya squeezes her shoulder, "but hey, can i ask you a question?"

"sure."

"did you actually like your first name?"

"i grew up hating it. in kindergarten, i could not remember how to spell it. kids made fun of me for it...made me feel stupid and everything. there was a brief period where i began to like it. but then, the same thing happened- the kids got to me again. but also, my dad called me 'gwyneth' and i just don't want to be reminded of him."

"ah." maya sucks in a breath, "i ask the worst questions."

"no, it's fine. i just i'm glad life's not worse than it already is for me." paige admits, "you and the gang are the best thing to have happened to me in forever."