maya meets...who?

"maya."

she was focused on the girl that'd just entered the cafeteria instead of riley, who was calling for her.

"maya." riley repeats, poking her on the  arm.

"yeah, yeah." maya swatted her hand away.

"maya!" riley exclaimed, turning her head back from where maya was looking at.

"what, yes?" maya finally turned her attention to riley.

"what's the matter?" riley asks, "why were you staring at...wait, ooh, who's that?"

"yep." maya crosses her arms in front of her chest, "never seen her before in my life." "and...?" riley asks curiously. "and nothing." maya answered bluntly, "just wondering who she is. never seen her before, y'know."

"we should go make friends with her."

maya gulped, taking a deep breath and said, "okay."

"yay! what...?" riley cheered then got confused by maya agreeing, "never mind, yay!"

"are you gonna invite her to sit down with us?"

"yeah. with us." riley motioned to the rest of the gang that was making their way to the table from the lunch line, "she's alone. c'mon, maya. quick."

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ .

"hi." riley approached the new girl, maya following closely behind, "i'm riley. this is-"

"hey, i'm maya." maya interrupts her friend.

"hi, i'm paige." the new girl smiled shyly, taken aback by the fact that she suddenly got approached by people.

"you wanna sit with us?" riley offered.

"oh, i uh- i probably shouldn't."

"it's okay, you're welcome to join us. and our friends." riley insisted. paige agreed hesitantly, following the two best friends to their table. truth be told, she had nowhere to sit and was about to just stand there and eat.

"guys, this is paige. she's gonna join us for lunch." riley introduced her to the group. paige puts down her tray and waved, smiling softly. after riley told her who's who, they began to eat. maya's already been eating since she got to the table, her mind wandering as she gazed at the person sitting opposite her.

"so, paige. how's your day been?" riley asked. maya slowly snapping out of her daze upon hearing a name.

"i uh- i had to miss the first half of the day because i had an appointment. so, it already feels weird."

"what's your next class?" maya asked before riley or anyone else could respond to what paige had said. "history."

"which room?"

"218."

"oh, cool! us too." maya smiled, but quickly bit her lip to stop. lucas noticed, though, shooting the rest of the table a look. riley shrugged, "i'm sure you're going to have a great time." "her dad's the teacher." zay told paige.

"oh." paige glances at him, "really?"

"he's a great teacher. but his assignments are sometimes...unconventional." lucas chimed in.