maya meets the cool mom plan

"rosa, what- i'm sorry, what do you mean jodie isn't who i think she is?"

"jodie's your aunt." rosa revealed, pursing her lips together.

it was as if a cat got her tongue, paige did not know what to say or how to feel. her heart was beating out of her chest, her mouth became dry and her eyes were filling with tears.

"your dad left me once he found out. i was forced to give you up for adoption because i, myself and my family could not afford to raise a baby."

paige's breath hitched as her eyes widened in sheer shock.

rosa's turning 34...so she had me when she was 17? and then she just gave me up?

through her blurred vision, she sees rosa looking at her worriedly, "are you okay? i'm sorry, i probably should've brought it up in a better way."

paige only scoffed, "better way? i basically lived a lie my whole life. and for what? she's also abandoned me."

"i'm sorry. i...i know i'll never be able to make it up to you." rosa knew her voice was going to break sooner than later, "could you give me a chance?"

"i don't know, can i?" paige stares at the ground, "i'm sorry- it's all so sudden. i'm being so rude."

"i've tried to be in your life as much as i could. at first, what we had was...fine. but then things started to get worse and worse between you and jodie, i kinda just drew a blank and didn't know what the hell to do. now, i finally got my head on straight. confronted her and told her about my decision. you're my daughter, i want you in my life more than just seeing each other on birthdays and sometimes on holidays."

"i'm gonna need some time to process all this." paige swallows thickly, "i'm really sorry, i know you were hoping for a good answer, but i-"

"paige, don't apologise. i'm the one who's supposed to be sorry. i should've stepped up sooner."

paige disagreed, "you did what you thought was best for me. and it was, till the recent years because i came out and got stuck with a chronic illness."

"i know you're supposed to be having a fun day with your friends and maya, so i'll let you get back to that. we'll talk another time, okay?"

"can i ask you a question?"

"sure."

"did you name me?"

"i did, actually. not 'paige', but i did. i chose a first name and middle name for you. even bought you your first outfit for coming home from the hospital."

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ .

"i'll see you soon, okay mija?"

"okay."

"deep breaths. we're gonna be just fine." rosa reminded then quietly left, "this is a little something i got for you."

paige then went back to her friends, playing a round of mastermind. which actually was the last round before they moved on to a different game.

the whole conversation went a lot calmer than rosa'd expected. she felt incredibly lucky that paige even agreed to stay on and listen to her side of everything.

after another hour, the gang left. maya took this opportunity to talk to paige. "so...big news." paige clears her throat, "rosa wasn't exactly my babysitter."