maya meets the moment

'it's not going to be okay with them for you to like a girl, maya.'

'forget those feelings.'

maya's thoughts were interrupted when she heard a string of loud knocks coming from the front door. that was followed by the front door opening. she also heard talking, but she couldn't make out what was being said. next, someone was knocking on her bedroom door, "maya." "come in, dad." she sits up, running a hand through her hair. "paige is here to hang out for awhile." shawn opens the door wider, letting nola walk in. "you sure you don't need anything, kiddo?" shawn asked. "yeah, thanks." paige confirmed.

maya found it strange that paige was here- because, they'd agreed to meet tomorrow, at riley's. to work on their project. she didn't ask- she just knew she had her own reasons, but she most definitely wouldn't complain about having more alone time with paige. the reason for her visit was made even clearer when the blonde saw the glossy and bloodshot eyes of the girl in front of her.

"sit down, paige. it's okay," maya talked to her in a quiet voice, trying not to startle her even more.

once she sat down, the waterworks began. she crumbled in maya's embrace just as maya put her arms around her.

'oh, shit.'

'i don't know what to do. i don't know what to do. why did i hug her?'

maya screws her eyes tightly shut, getting rid of those thoughts. once again, trying to get rid of those thoughts running through her head that were less than helpful.

'face it, maya. always be yourself.'

'always. always be yourself.'

few minutes later, the crying calms down. maya hands her a piece of tissue to wipe the tears away, "oh, honey, you head's going to hurt."

"after what happened in school? it's already hurting. i'm sorry, i don't know why i just lost it."

"you don't have to keep apologising, paige." maya promised, "i know you're going through a lot. you're honestly keeping it together better than i would if i were to be in your shoes."

then maya looked closer and saw the forming bruise on her forearm.

"paige...who did t-" paige quickly pulled away before maya could even finish speaking, covering her arms back up with her sleeves.

"did your mom do this to you?" maya asked boldly.

"no, no, no, no. she's not even home."

"did you fall, and hurt yourself?" maya was growing more concerned by the second, "or...oh." her dad.

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ .

"my dad." paige admitted, "he came by. just barged in an grabbed me, wrecked the place and he left after i said i would call the cops. i just ran out of there."

"you did what you needed to do. that's over now." maya assured, "stay here as long as you need to."

"maya?" paige sniffled.

"yep?"

"why are you being nice to me?"

maya's breathing hitched, "you seem nice, y'know?" paige was avoiding eye contact as usual. "hey, look at me. i suck at this- getting to know new people and just properly interacting. but with you, it feels right. as much as it still feels strange to me, because the truth is, i don't understand very well why i am being 'nicer' to you than i do with others in the group."