chapter fourteen - little gift shop of horrible people

I walked out into the gift shop, today was Saturday, meaning it would be the busiest day of the week, which was unfortunate because no matter WHAT you say you CANNOT convince Stanley to give you a day off on busy days, which ALSO meant double the work for me because the twins and Soos would still be recovering from GIFfany. but it wasn't all that bad, I mean the day went really well planned until Stanley told me to take Wendy's place at the cash register. 

"-hey, you! are you even listening to me? I asked you a question." some random customer waved her hand over my face.

"Yeah yeah, you can decide what shirt will fit you." I said lazily. 

"Tsk, good to know people actually listen." she sasses

"what's your current size?" I ask, getting up and checking the shirt stand for the different sizes.

"Are you calling me fat?" she asked seemingly out of nowhere, clearly offended.

"No, where did you get that from?" I ask, confused but also pissed off. 

"I can't believe it! you're calling a valued customer fat!" she said putting a hand over her chest.

"Look lady, if you keep making a scene, I'm going to have to escort you out of the building, you're screaming and running the shopping experience for everybody else." I sighed putting my finger to my temples and rubbing my forehead.

"How dare you!" she screamed then started wrecking hundreds of dollars of merch.

"that's it, I'm not in the mood to deal with this." I paused walking out the door into the tour group. "Stanley!"

"What? I'm in the middle of something!" he called from the group.

"An entitled customer is harassing other customers and ruining the merch while refusing to pay for the damage and I need your help to get them out and I really want to skip the 'I want to see your manager' phase."

"coming" he said then wrapped up the tour group.

I lead him to the customer and then sat back down at the cash register and took whatever payments the un-harassed or patient customers had while Stanley dealt with the terrible shopper. it didn't take long after that for him to close down the gift shop for the day leaving me, Wendy, and the twins to have the rest of the day off.

I was about to head back into my room when somebody tapped on my shoulder. I turned around to see it was Stanley.

"y/n, I have a few questions for you."

"If this is about the gift shop incident, I really am not in the mood to hear it." I said putting my hand on the knob to start opening my door.

"No, it's about the portal." he said bluntly and sternly.

I froze in place, my hand still on the doorknob, mid-twist. 

fuck. I forgot about this; I did not think this through. come on y/n you're a quick thinker, just go along with what he has to say and hope for the best.

"What about it?" I ask turning back, slowly and cautiously as if I was caught red-handed committing a crime.

"What do you know about it?" he asked skeptically. alright, I'm not sure if this is the best thing to straight up lie about, considering yanno, time paradox avoidance enforcement squadron... so half-truths it is!

"Well, I mean about just as much as you do." I shrugged. I mean, its technically true never said the word 'now', also used the word 'just as much' meaning it could be varying amounts.