Chapter 41 | Deep End

Start from the beginning

My eyes unintentionally widen. "He fought you?"

Blake nods and grimaces at the thought.

"I'll talk to him when we get back," I assure him while stroking his arm.

"I hate that you two dislike each other so much," I look out of the car window.

"Hey," He catches my attention with his finger underneath my chin, "I don't hate your brother. With what happened between us, I can't blame him for how he still holds resentment. I crossed a boundary, and he didn't appreciate that."

I decide to stop talking about the sore topic because it seems to upset Blake from the looks of his furrowed face.

"Let's play a game," I insist while shuffling my back into my leather seat.

"What kind of game?" Blake intrigues.

"It's called the hot seat. The person on the 'hot seat' has to answer whatever questions the other asks them in a minute." I explain the rules to him.

"Okay, you got first," I continue.

Blake smiles as he continues to drive down the long stretch of highway.

I start the timer and begin to ask him questions.

"Favorite color?"

"Black."

"Favorite fruit?"

Blake looks at me and chuckles.

"You have to answer. Come on; we only have a minute."

"Grapes."

"Favorite food?"

"My mother's pasta," It pains him to say that one.

"If you could be anywhere right now; where would you be?"

"I would stay right where I am."

That one makes me blush.

"Where do you see yourself in ten years?"

"Starting a family," He instantly responds.

"Why did you come to my house after that night in the city?"

He pauses to look at me.

"I needed to see if you were alright," Blake straightens his back, "Mathias made some threats that night, and I had to make sure that he didn't get to you. I also might've wanted to see if my feelings for you were true."

"And were they?"

"One hundred percent."

The timer goes off, and I press the button to stop it. My heart is doing flips, so I take a couple of breaths to contain myself.

God, if we weren't in a car right now, I would consider throwing myself on top of him.

"Your turn," He snickers.

"Okay, the timer starts now."

"Favorite animal?" He exhorts.

I think about the animals I saw earlier today and smile.

"A sloth."

"Favorite restaurant?"

"Monty's Diner," I think about Elise and wonder how she's doing. I haven't seen her stop by the hospital since I woke up from my surgery. She was nice enough to bring me a gift card to Monty's, but I haven't been able to talk to her since.

"Favorite drug?"

I smile uncomfortably.

"HAHA! Just kidding," Blake bellows.