12

Diane and Remus went all the way to the end of the corridor and went as far as a picture of a still-life with fruit. Remus casted Lumos, gave his wand to Diane and tickled the pear in the picture. Suddenly the picture started moving aside and finally opened some passage.

"Go ahead" said Remus and smiled.

Diane stepped into the passage with timidity. She handed him his wand, but he said: "You can light the road". Diane was surprised that Remus trusted her with his wand. She started walking along the passage. Remus followed her. It was so quiet in the passage that their footsteps were echoing. With each step the aisle was getting smaller and narrower and Diana had to bend.

"And how others walk here?" she asked. "It's literally impossible".

"Oh the reason is very easy" Remus laughed. "You'll see. We've been here with the guys".

"Remus."

"M-m-m?"

"Why did James do it?"

"Did what?"

"First he despised me, and then suddenly he stood up for me. Why?"

"He never despised you! He just... got a little angry. Do you understand?".

"M-m-m, of course".

"Remus."

"Yes?"

"How did you get those scars?" she asked. In some places, Remus' face did have scars.

"I'd rather not talk about it."

"Oh" Diane was shocked a bit. How bad might the cause of these scars be for Remus, to be ashamed to tell about it? "Okay, sorry."

"Don't worry, you were just asking".

"Remus." She stopped and turned back to Remus.

"What now?"

"Why are you like that?"

"Excuse me?"

"Why are you so kind with me? We aren't even friends! Since I've come to Hogwarts, everyone hates me. Even my classmates! So why are you so kind to me?"

"Diane, it's not important to be friends with someone to be kind to them."

"Oh."

"But we could be."

"Huh?"

"I am Remus" he reached out his hand.

Diana was shocked and stared at his hand for a few seconds.

"If you don't want..."

"What? No, no! I want to be friends with you!" she vigorously shook his hand.