undefeated champion

Luke

"Orla. Do you like Calum?"

"Dr Hood is very friendly,"

"So yes?"

"I do like him, yes,"

"Do you think he is attractive?"

"It wouldn't be very professional for me to answer that,"

"I think he thinks you are,"

"Gabi," I said calmly, "You know you're not going to get a satisfactory answer, don't bother trying,"

She turned her head and looked at me, then looked back to Orla and sighed.

"Are you nearly done?"

"I am,"

"Usually it's Calum doing the ultrasound,"

"Well I decided to give him a break from the hate today," she said, "However you have done really well all morning, so well done,"

"Promise you will find out why I am so tired,"

"I am sure we will figure that out, yes. You can go and change now,"

She hopped off the bed and went with Sierra to go and change, then I stood, twisting my lips together.

"Thank you for accommodating us today,"

"Of course. Everything looks good, we just need blood work results. I'm wondering if her iron levels are perhaps a little low, but the transplant has gone very well. I'm passing the whole case over to Dr Hood now,"

"Great. That's a relief,"

"What about you?"

"Oh I'm all good,"

"That's great news! She can start to do a bit more now, like going on short walks, but still take it easy. It would also be great if she could try not to nap everyday, but don't force it because she will need some. Oh- and try and get a consistent sleep schedule for her,"

"Noted,"

"Sorry,"

"I get it, there's always a lot to say,"

We left, and found the other two waiting not far from the room. Gabi took my hand and passed me her bag, then walked with me as Sierra pushed the wheelchair.

Holding her hand felt different to usual, then I realised she was wearing a ring. Specifically, the promise ring that Sierra had got her. I tried not to have a reaction, because I knew it was a big deal, but I couldn't help but wonder what had changed her mind.

"Dad, did they say you were all okay?"

"I am. So are you,"

"Today wasn't so bad in the end,"

"I still say we still invite people over,"

"Yes please,"

She swung our arms back and forth, and seemed to have a spring in her step despite earlier on; I wondered whether Maddox had been texting her at some point.

Whatever it was, I was happy she was happier.

When we got in the car, she curled up in her blanket again and stuck her headphones in, so we drove straight home. Inside, she sat on the sofa, so we both joined her and I asked people to come round.

"Dad,"

"Yes darling,"

"I love you,"

"I love you too,"