"It's really dangerous, you know that right?"

"Ash," I snort to myself. "I've been doing it for like six years and I'm not exactly at a professional level. I'm an amateur, at best."

"But you want to be a professional," he comments and I nod.

"Yeah, I'd love to make it professional but it's a lot of training. A lot of fights."

His eyes flick between mine and he moves closer. "Are you good?"

I shrug and look out at the long grass in front of us. "Maybe you should come over next time I fight so you can be the judge of that."

Ash gapes at my words. "Remember how I am with blood?"

"True but it's not like pools of blood, it's normally a little scratch, tiny wound. Nothing too serious." I explain and watch as he looks down to his lap momentarily.

"But I also don't want to see you get hurt either," his voice grows quieter.

"There is always a medic on standby."

Ash gives me a deadpan look, one screaming 'like that makes it any better'. "Yeah, I think I'll pass."

I lean back into the wall and study him. "What? Not even one fight?"

He's looking down at my little smile but he shakes his head. "If I come, I'll close my eyes the whole time."

A low chuckle escapes my chest and I grin. "I guess I can deal with that."

"So do you have another job or are you focusing on boxing?"

My head shakes. "I did have a job, I used to work at the gym I boxed at. But when I got arrested and probation they told me to come back when my community service is over, they don't want boxers to be brushed as criminals and represent their gym."

"That's kinda shit," Ash's mouth slants. "So is that your end goal? Wanting to box as a career."

"Yeah," I say without having to think. "My dad got me into some really good fights before and even though he's a fucking pain in my ass, he did work really hard to get me set up with some experienced people to fight."

Ash knocks my ankle with the tip of his shoe but he doesn't move away. "Do you wish he wasn't taking control of it?"

"Yes, so badly but I can't really do anything about it because of my probation."

"Can't you just tell him no?"

My neck rolls and I look back into Ash's eyes. "My father is a fucking asshole, telling him no is like declaring World War III."

"Would you ever move out?"

I shrug. "Maybe but I don't have enough savings to do so."

"Me either," he exhales and rests his head on the wall. "Can I ask about your mum? You've not really spoken about her before."

The subject stings my heart but I nod and suck in a breath. "Sure," I force a smile. "She's still alive, if that's what you're wondering."

Ash's eyes relax a little, releasing a silent sigh of relief. "Where is she?"

"She lives in Scotland now with her new husband," my tone drops and Ash senses this.

He leans over and grabs my arm gently, one to show me comfort and it does, instantly. "Sorry, we don't have to talk about it. I've just been curious."

"It's okay," I shake it off. "She broke it off with my dad when I was like ten, she met Mark and moved to Scotland with him."

"Did you not want to go with her?"