29. Point of Origin

EVA

I roll my eyes and look out the window as the familiar rocky, pine-forested landscape sweeps past as we cross the border to Crystal Moon.

We soon reach the main pack house where we stop and I link Neo.

Neo, I'm here. Where are you?

Yes I know, the guards alerted me. What's with the entourage, is Dante with you? She asks and I sigh looking over at Dante who watches me carefully as I link my sister.

Yes he is, we've come with his Gamma and Epsilons.

There's a moment of silence.

He and his Gamma can join the other Alphas with Sebastian in the pack house. The Epsilons need to head over to the training center, Kiara is there she will take care of them.

I relay the message to Dante as I begin to get out of the SUV.

"I'll walk from here, I need to clear my head before I meet up with my sisters."

Dante grasps my wrist before I get out. My skin burns with the memory of his touch and I gasp as sparks tingle beneath his fingers. I hate his sunglasses. It's impossible for me to read, but I guess that is the point of them.

"Sam will escort you. You don't go anywhere without him am I clear?" His eyes are serious and firm.

"Okay," I whisper and he releases me.

Sam follows me quietly as we walk through the woods to Neo's beautiful Alpha house. It's hard for me to walk these lands knowing neither my father nor my mother is here anymore.

When we arrive there are five other guards outside and I know all my sisters are inside.

I leave Sam with his counterparts who all stand at attention looking around the woods as if some enemy was at large.

Neo's house is quieter than I've ever heard it before, even though I can scent all my sisters inside.

I follow their scents to the living room where they are all seated quietly.

Arabella and Belinda and Delilah sit side by side on a sofa, while Cordelia, looking like she is about to birth her pup any day sits alone on a single sofa seat holding her belly protectively.

Freya, my twin is doing what she does best, feeding everyone and Neo stands in the center of the room.

Grief fills the room as too an undercurrent of guilt.

I walk to Freya and slip into her arms sobbing as we hold each other close.

She sniffs my neck and I know she scents Dante from how she stiffens, but she says nothing, only rubs my back.

I'm the last to arrive, my sisters have been here for twenty-four hours already, they have poured their grief out together while I was being comforted by Dante.

My arrival sets off another wave of grief and soon we are all a mess. Seven mourning, weeping she-wolves, our sorrow is all-consuming and the air is thick with our grief. We cling to each other for comfort.

After a while silence settles, it's Arabella who breaks it.

"Now that Eva is here, we want to know what happened Neo,"

Arabella casts me a look that tells me her annoyance at my late arrival. I look at Neo.

"I thought mom was with Cordelia," I ask confused,

"She was, but then Neo told her she was with pup and she came back, she's been here a week. She was fine when she left," Cordelia says pointedly and I feel the tension between her and Neo, they've clearly had words on this already.