7. Terms

EVA

All at once, the air is sucked out of me as I look around the large office. Dante stands his immense back to us looking out the full wall window down at the pack lawn below, no doubt he had a full view of my struggle getting out of the truck.

Standing beside his desk is a bigger, older version of Leroy, staring at me blankly. The faint scent of old sex makes me not doubt his desk and large sofa get worked on regularly.

I choke down the bile creeping up and step to the left choosing a simple wooden chair to sit in, one that would not be able to withstand Dante's abuse so likely to be the only sex-free bit of furniture in the room.

Clearly, the distaste is evident on my face as both Kaison and Bryan glance at each other with a hint of embarrassment and anger.

"Dante." I say with a sigh as I settle into the uncomfortable wooden chair. He turns to look at me the walks to the large leather seat behind his desk.

"Eva." He returns simply and turns to look out the window.

Kaison clears his throat.

"Eva, this is Gamma Bryan." The older wolf bows right arm across his chest in the traditional greeting of the ranked.

"Welcome Miss Highwater, our apologies for not greeting you on your arrival, as you may be aware we had no prior notice." The older wolf tries to explain glancing sideways at a clearly disinterested Dante.

"No need to apologize for your Alpha's lack of etiquette, it's nice to meet you, I just met your son Leroy, he's your spitting image, I'm sure he will make a fine Gamma."

Bryan looks at me with pride shining in his eyes.

"Thanks you, yes, I know he will do an excellent job when he takes my place."

I nod smiling at the older man and turn to Kaison who is trying to discretely open windows.

"It's fine Beta Kaison, I know if you had prior warning you would have purified the stench out of this office."

Kaison and Bryan look stricken and Dante finally gives me his full attention.

"Kaison, Bryan, cutting to the chase Eva will be here for three moons. The council are forcing us into a mating trial because Eva here killed a she wolf from her pack."

Kaison and Bryan look at me wide-eyed and confused.

"Oh please don't leave out the fact you slept with her first." I snap.

"Yes, there's that. Her wolf is a crazy, jealous bitch so here we are for three moons after which if Lilith does not accept my rejection the Alpha King will make her, thank Goddess." He mumbles taking a seat behind his desk.

"Alpha Dante is this disrespect to Miss. Highwater necessary," Gamma Bryan expresses his disapproval without hesitation. Dante's eyes snap angrily at his Gamma.

"Gamma Bryan, it's fine. There is no need for Dante to pretend to be anything he is not. I need Lilith to see him for the lousy mate he truly is so she will finally accept that I don't want him just as much as he doesn't want me. So since we've both been thrust into this untenable situation, I suggest we cut to the chase and lay the ground rules for the next three months."

I lean back, breathing deep and stilling the pounding of my heart fueled by my rage and disappointment.

Dante leans forward on his desk his honeyed eyes squinting at me, jaw clenching as he rests his bearded chin on his knuckles.

"Nice speech, and I agree a thousand percent."

He leans back in his seat, and I rip my eyes away from the expanse of his chest straining the buttons of his shirt.