21. Secrets

DANTE

"I have good news and I have bad news," Kaison says as he steps in pace with me as we head to the large gym where Bryan keeps his office. I don't need to but I'm killing time as I head over to review the patrol schedule for tonight.

With my decision made about tonight, an undercurrent of restless, excited energy burns under my skin.

I glance sideways at Kaison. His disagreement with me has been pushed aside for now while amusement now fills his eyes.

"Make it quick Kaison." I'm in no mood for games. Kaison laughs me off.

"I just got Luna ordered out of the Alpha suite." He says with a triumphant smile.

I stop dead in my tracks turning to Kaison.

"She's accepted her role as Luna?" I definitely did not see this coming.

"She sure did and here's the bad news. She's accepted her role to guard herself against you."

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" I growl. My annoyance level at Kaison is almost explosive. He catches on and bows, it's a full moon, emotions are running high and Kaison has better things to do than piss his Alpha off.

"She's ordered three Epsilons to guard the Alpha suite against you tonight."

I have never been speechless in my life.

Eva accepts her role and the first thing she does is use my Epsilons against me. If I wasn't so turned on I think I'd be more pissed off than I am.

"Which guards?" I ask as I continue walking, my mind reeling.

"Gregory, Holland, and Sam."

"Shit." I can only shake my head and Kaison nods.

"She's fucking brilliant," I mutter.

"And how did she pick them?" I ask with a raised eyebrow.

Kaison clears his throat.

"Melanie." He says simply.

I roll my eyes.

"And I thought she was on my side," I mutter.

Kaison snorts.

"Melanie is Eva's Beta female, her loyalty will always be to Eva first. Just because she wants you together does not mean she will not support Eva too. It just means you will have to work harder."

I grit my teeth as Kaison laughs quite proud of his mate and Eva's attempts to stop me tonight.

"She certainly read you like a book. I think in chess they call that the Queen's Gambit."

"Maybe, but it's just the opening move, Checkmate it is not." Kaison looks at me quizzically.

"What's your next move then, Dante?" He asks warily.

"Nothing you need to know about. My orders remain. Keep the third floor clear, don't worry about Gregory, Holland, and Sam. Make sure we have the usual guards on the underaged unmated, they should be in the pack house before sunset."

Kaison nods but hesitates to leave me as we reach the gym.

"What is it, Kai?" I sigh.

"Dante. I hope you reconsider whatever you are planning tonight. More than anything this pack needs Eva. And you need her too, but this is not the way. If you take her choice away she will never forgive you."

I look away from the pleading in his eyes, anger surging in my chest. Kaison and Bryan just don't see. I have no choice anymore too. From the moment Eva revealed Hades's claim on Lilith, Pandora's box was opened.