Chapter 22

The drive to my mothers house was actually quick, considering no cars consumed the road but mine

The multiple cars parked outside let me know the entire family came down this year. I just wanted to show my face, drop off gifts, and return home in the morning.

I opened the door, everyone's heads turnt. Immediately I was greeted by my family— my nieces covered me in a tight hug. I haven't seen them for a while because of school.

"My girls! I missed y'all." I expressed, upset that we haven't been together in a while.

"Hi Tete!" The youngest spoke.

I passed out assigned gifts then opened mine. London and the girls got me new boots, Mama and Papa got me a necklace. I gave my nieces new purses, London a wig she had been wanting, and my parents a framed family picture.

We all talked and caught up, I even saw cousins that moved away. We all ate desserts and watched Christmas movies.

I looked down at my ringing phone. I stood going into the bathroom down the hall. I answered Cairo's call while sliding down onto the floor. The cold tile comforted me.

"You was supposed to call me when you got there." He said sickly, I looked at the camera watching his every move.

"Sorry, I forgot. You feeling better?"

"Yeah Mini, I wish Karter and I could've gone with you."

"There's always next Christmas." He laughed a little, but it turned into a cough. I wanted to be right there beside him, ensuring he's okay.

"I'm sorry about my cousin, she's borderline crazy. What she says doesn't affect us cause we better than that. When you left she aired my sister out to the family about being gay."

My eyebrows rose with shock, "Really?" I wasn't even upset about her attack towards me, but airing someone's secret out is cruel.

"Mhm, my cousin took her back home earlier." He slowly spoke, I watched his eyes close then flutter back open when he realized he was on the phone.

"Okay, go to sleep. I'll call you in the morning."

"I'm not even sleepy." He informed me, but I could see otherwise.

"Cairo, why you fighting your sleep?" I asked while standing up.

"Tete! Hurry up!" Kaitlyn called out from the other side of the door while knocking.

"I gotta call you back later, goodnight." I didn't get a reply, just loud breathing from his stuffy nose. So much for not being tired.

I hope he feels better.

"I'm coming out now, Kait."

Short, but cute chapter