Chapter 2

"I sentence you to twelve months of probation, with six months in jail underlying

"I sentence you to twelve months of probation, with six months in jail underlying." Meaning my client has a year of probation, for any reason if he violates the terms and conditions— he'll be subjected to six months in jail.

I stood immediately, hugging my client. Although the eighteen year old boy was on probation for a year, I was happy that I could help him beat jail time. He was just a lost, heavily influenced teenager who did the wrong thing. He deserves a second chance at correcting his wrongs, before he's put away into the system meant to improve no one.

I pulled back from the hug, as his parents approached us with excitement, "Thank you so much, Lauryn. I appreciate everything you've done for us." His mother expressed with genuine support, as her eyes soaked with tears.

I sent a smile in her direction, "Yeah, absolutely."

After a few seconds of gathering my papers— I spoke, "Hey, promise me you'll do right by your probation, please. Jail is no place for a gentle person like you."

The teenager complied— shaking his head, he spoke, "I promise."

After finishing up that case for good, I had another in the same building. Instead of leaving, I took the time to memorize some more information that could be vital to winning this case.

In my book, If I can lower your sentence, get you out on just probation, or get you found as not guilty— it's a win.

Not all clients could be found as not guilty, or even plea not guilty considering the hardcore evidence against them. But If I'm representing you, I'll get you something good out of every single deal.

About an hour later, I was back in the courtroom facing the same judge. This client was a grown adult that's being tried for arson. The hotel building across the street from the burning building caught most of the offense on camera, meaning my client was guilty the moment I received the call.

It wasn't my place to determine why they did the crime, but just help them through the situation. Long story short, if my client didn't plead guilty, and was found guilty, their sentencing was twenty years in federal prison. She had a max of twenty years because of an attempt to murder.

My client and I came to the mass decision, she would plead guilty, to lessen her sentence. Prison was going to be her ending factor, I could just attempt to knock down a few years.

"I plead guilty, your honor." She spoke, in the end her sentence was fifteen years in federal prison, with no probation. I was aiming for fourteen or less, considering no one actually died, but hey— you burn down an entire business, you face the consequences.

On my route back home, I received a message from one of my best friends.

Demi
Hey, we're going out tonight, I don't make the rules srry.

Lauryn
Tonight? I'm so tired.

Demi
Tomorrow's Saturday, meaning the courts are closed, sleep tomorrow. Get dressed, love you Ryn. ❤️

Lauryn
Love you too Dem.

Immediately I felt a headache arising, I liked going out, but tonight of all nights. I was honestly tired beyond repair. I hurriedly shuffled into the house, hoping to at least get an hour of sleep before going out.

It felt like as soon as my head hit the pillow, I was being awoken by the alarm I set. Instead of getting up like I should've, I sat fighting the air like an immature teenager.

I turned on bluetooth, letting the music flow in the background as I prepared for the night awaiting.

After hours of pampering, from hair to makeup, to my outfit— I was finally ready to leave. Demi had sent the location of the restaurant we were dining at.

As I pulled into the parking lot, I saw Demi walking into the restaurant with a few others. Meaning I wasn't extremely late.

Once I met up with the rest, I sat in the only available seat. I didn't associate with any of these people besides Demi, which was kind of confusing, I could've made do without the invite.

"Guys this is my best friend, Lauryn." She announced leaving me to put on a faux smile.

"Hi." Was enough for me to say. Everyone ordered their food, but once again— conversation was boring as I couldn't relate. I learned these were her coworkers, I was just a friend addition. Our other friend, Sabrina, couldn't make it.

One of Demi's friends tried to familiarize himself with me, but I wasn't the biggest fan of his. Considering I've just worked a nine plus hour shift, the last thing I want was to be here.

"So, what do you do for a living?" He asked, I sat bored of the forced interaction.

"I'm a lawyer." My answer was short and simple, leaving no room for reply, so I thought.

"A lawyer, different. I'm a personal chef," He spoke again, I yawned, hoping he would interpret the message. He didn't.

"I've cooked for big names in the industry actually. You have to try my steak and potatoes, it's my signature dish." I replied with a head nod.

"I'm vegetarian, but thanks."

I shot a text to Demi,

Lauryn
Not feeling well, leaving.

Demi
Feel better Ryn.

With that, I gathered my clutch and exited the enclosed restaurant. The fresh air relieving me of the awkward interaction back there.

On the way home, I stopped at the wine store, and picked up a bottle of their finest. As I exited my car, I noticed Cairo and Karter leaving. I shot them a quick wave and entered the house.

Not bothering to remove my makeup or dress into something more comfortable, I filled the glass up to the brim before drinking a little, then replacing the lost wine with more.

I settled into the couch, tuning into whatever was on the television. Before long, I finished the bottle of wine, and crashed on the couch.

So much for having a night out, Lauryn.

...